Discuss Additions/alterations to installations. SPDs??? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andy5678

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
another SPD queerie!

So having a flick through the regs and it’s clear where and when we need them.

But when adding new circuits or even a second CU to an existing installation, should they be going in like we do with RCDs?

I would say no to alterations but should when adding a new CU (but is it worth while when the others don’t have protection)

I would say a CU swap would need it.

What your thoughts? Have I missed any regs that can help.

If used, an AFDD shall be placed at the origin of the circuit to be protected.
NOTE: Examples of where such devices can be used include:
• premises with sleeping accommodation
• locations with a risk of fire due to the nature of processed or stored materials, i.e. BE2 locations (e.g. barns
woodworking shops, stores of combustible materials)
• locations with combustible constructional materials, i.e. CA2 locations (e.g. wooden buildings)
• fire propagating structures, i.e. CB2 locations
• locations with endangering of irreplaceable goods.

Reading the above from 421.1.7 It seems to me these are for use in the above not domestic for instance. And that is "...IF used..."

421.1.7 Arc fault detection devices conforming to BS EN 62606 are recommended as a means of providing
additional protection against fire caused by arc faults in AC final circuits. Does this really apply to domestic? I do not think so necessarily.

If used, an AFDD shall be placed at the origin of the circuit to be protected.
NOTE: Examples of where such devices can be used include:
• premises with sleeping accommodation
• locations with a risk of fire due to the nature of processed or stored materials, i.e. BE2 locations (e.g. barns
woodworking shops, stores of combustible materials)
• locations with combustible constructional materials, i.e. CA2 locations (e.g. wooden buildings)
• fire propagating structures, i.e. CB2 locations
• locations with endangering of irreplaceable goods.

Reading the above from 421.1.7 It seems to me these are for use in the above not domestic for instance. And that is "...IF used..."

421.1.7 Arc fault detection devices conforming to BS EN 62606 are recommended as a means of providing
additional protection against fire caused by arc faults in AC final circuits. Does this really apply to domestic? I do not think so necessarily.
He said SPD not AFDD

It would be a case by case decision. If you alteration was on a socket circuit to say install additional sockets for some high-cost media equipment then I would say you need to install SPDs as per the regs when they stipulate a cost anaylises needs to be done to see if a Type 2 SPD installed at the CU would make sense protecting the equipment the new sockets are feeding.

If I was extending a lighting circuit to have an additional 2 pendants then clearly that cost anaylises would deem an SPD as unnecessary.

It would be a case by case decision. If you alteration was on a socket circuit to say install additional sockets for some high-cost media equipment then I would say you need to install SPDs as per the regs when they stipulate a cost anaylises needs to be done to see if a Type 2 SPD installed at the CU would make sense protecting the equipment the new sockets are feeding.

If I was extending a lighting circuit to have an additional 2 pendants then clearly that cost anaylises would deem an SPD as unnecessary.

Didn't you say your tv or something was worth more than spud thing?

another SPD queerie!

So having a flick through the regs and it’s clear where and when we need them.

But when adding new circuits or even a second CU to an existing installation, should they be going in like we do with RCDs?

I would say no to alterations but should when adding a new CU (but is it worth while when the others don’t have protection)

I would say a CU swap would need it.

What your thoughts? Have I missed any regs that can help.

I think we need the correct terminology here: It's either an SWD queerie or an SPD query ;-)

There’s a reg about not having to update plastic CU’s in domestics. But nothing like that for SPDs.

As was said case by case and hope for the best.

As for risk assements I won’t be doing them so will probably means fitting more RCDs.

Used to be the case a risk assessment was done on the average amount of lightning strikes in the location of the installation. If it was over a certain amount SPDs needed if not, not needed.

Reply to Additions/alterations to installations. SPDs??? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net