Discuss Adiabatic equation infinite loop in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi - not sure I've understood correctly, but it may not be an issue in real life. Using the Wylex data from post #15 a B6 disconnects with I2T of about 10,000 on 10kA short circuit current (worst case, I should think). Plug that into adiabatic and 1mm2 is still ok. So not really something we have to think about every day ?

Th
How many people on here think the zdb+r1+r2 ie the Zs of the circuit in question is used in the calculation of the cpc size for adiabatic?
I feel like I'm the only one picked up the fundamental error (and wrong side error) the op described, and I'm not even a sparkly.
the zs of the circuit and resulting fault current is what is used as I in the equation

How many people on here think the zdb+r1+r2 ie the Zs of the circuit in question is used in the calculation of the cpc size for adiabatic?
I feel like I'm the only one picked up the fundamental error (and wrong side error) the op described, and I'm not even a sparkly.

That doesn't really make any sense.

The Zs would be even lower due to parallel paths.

All you need is the resistance of the conduit per meter, you can then work out your R1+R2 etc, change the K value on the adiabatic.

IIRC the minimum CSA of 20mm galv is around the 53mm area so you have plenty to play with.

Let me see if I can find the information I had.

I'll look into it. If you do have the info that would be great.

Zs is used because a cpc which is suitable for conditions at the far end of the circuit can be assumed to be suitable at the supply end of the circuit.

Applying the adiabatic equation at the supply end as you suggest and at the load end results in a larger cpc from the load end calculation.

the zs of the circuit and resulting fault current is what is used as I in the equation
I'm saying that's wrong, as the worse case ie highest fault current will be when the fault happens close to the origin.
This is exemplified by the suggestions to increase the length of the circuit arbitrarily in order to reduce the necessary size of the cpc. If the fault happen 1m away from the cpc, the remaining 2m or 20m of the circuit are irrelevant.
That doesn't really make any sense.

The Zs would be even lower due to parallel paths.
Maybe it doesn't make sense at the moment, but by rating it Dumb, I'm not sure if that shows a good attitude to understanding whether you are making a serious and potentially dangerous mistake.i also notice it appears you are using cmin to calculate rather than the actual p(e)fc which is also incorrect.
Zs is used because a cpc which is suitable for conditions at the far end of the circuit can be assumed to be suitable at
I don't think that can be assumed, for example with a mechanical mcb the graph posted above clearly shows that not to be the case.
Applying the adiabatic equation at the supply end as you suggest and at the load end results in a larger cpc from the load end calculation.
Did not know that. Interesting, i will look at that. I would expect it to be either head end or the same.

Last edited:
If we sized the CPC for a fault at the beginning of the circuit then the CPC size would be excessively large for what is required.

I can see where you're coming from but feasibly you could end up with a CPC of 6mm for a 1mm lighting circuit if you calculate for the fault at the origin of the circuit..

If we sized the CPC for a fault at the beginning of the circuit then the CPC size would be excessively large for what is required.
I contend that it would be exactly what is required to protect for a fault at that point. The remainder of the circuit is not relevant to the fault current. If the cable insulation are damaged on exit from the DB, they need to be not thermally damaged by the fault current. As with any other fault before the furthest point. Hence the need to find the worst case
I can see where you're coming from but feasibly you could end up with a CPC of 6mm for a 1mm lighting circuit if you calculate for the fault at the origin of the circuit..
If that's what is needed then there are either missing protective devices or they are not properly matched. Or someone has calculated i2t from 0.1ms instead of using the manufacturers chart.
If you check the above chart, you should find that even for 1mm cpc on a 6A class 3 mcb would be fine at 16kA as long as it's backed up by a 100A cutout fuse.

I'm saying that's wrong, as the worse case ie highest fault current will be when the fault happens close to the origin.
This is exemplified by the suggestions to increase the length of the circuit arbitrarily in order to reduce the necessary size of the cpc. If the fault happen 1m away from the cpc, the remaining 2m or 20m of the circuit are irrelevant.

Maybe it doesn't make sense at the moment, but by rating it Dumb, I'm not sure if that shows a good attitude to understanding whether you are making a serious and potentially dangerous mistake.i also notice it appears you are using cmin to calculate rather than the actual p(e)fc which is also incorrect.

I don't think that can be assumed, for example with a mechanical mcb the graph posted above clearly shows that not to be the case.

Did not know that. Interesting, i will look at that. I would expect it to be either head end or the same.
It’s not wrong you need the fault current at the most onerous point in the circuit

It’s not wrong you need the fault current at the most onerous point in the circuit
Indeed, so for the purposes of the adiabatic equation, would you consider higher or lower current more onerous?

A higher I2t is certainly more onerous (as csa required is proportional to the square root of I2t).
At disconnection times less than 0.1s, it's clear from the I2t chart posted previously that onerous case is close to the origin.

At disconnection times between 0.1s and 5s we need to calculate I2t from the manufacturer's charts for disconnection time. That is the case I mentioned in my 6:36 post today I needed to look into (but didn't!)

For >5s we would indeed end up needing huge CPCs but that's because adiabatic is not relevant due to the adiabatic (no heat disapated) assumption not holding.

Zs is used because a cpc which is suitable for conditions at the far end of the circuit can be assumed to be suitable at the supply end of the circuit.

So as promised I eventually looked into this, it seems like we were both right!
I found an interesting thread on IET to explain IET Forums - Understanding the adiabatic equation - https://www.------.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=65487&enterthread=y
The gist of it is for fuses the worst case is indeed as you state, where the I is lower the I2t will be higher, so you have to check the distant end.
However for MCBs the situation reverses when the magnetic trip comes into play - when the I is higher the I2t will be higher, so you have to check the head end instead.
Cheers, I learnt something today!:)

However, after all that, the OPs situation, as far as I can tell, he still needs to use the actual PEFC rather than the Cmin, and he still needs to use the head end and the tabulated I2t values due to the magnetic trip being relevant.
And also not forgetting that the other conductors are also subject to the same process - which may apply if PEFC and PSSC are not the same.

So as promised I eventually looked into this, it seems like we were both right!
I found an interesting thread on IET to explain IET Forums - Understanding the adiabatic equation - https://www.------.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=65487&enterthread=y
The gist of it is for fuses the worst case is indeed as you state, where the I is lower the I2t will be higher, so you have to check the distant end.
However for MCBs the situation reverses when the magnetic trip comes into play - when the I is higher the I2t will be higher, so you have to check the head end instead.
Cheers, I learnt something today!:)

However, after all that, the OPs situation, as far as I can tell, he still needs to use the actual PEFC rather than the Cmin, and he still needs to use the head end and the tabulated I2t values due to the magnetic trip being relevant.
And also not forgetting that the other conductors are also subject to the same process - which may apply if PEFC and PSSC are not the same.
In the case of a disconnection time lower than 0.1 seconds like in the op case, yes he needs the let through energy of device, this can be used to make sure K2S2 is e equal to or greater than the let through value.

I overcame the problem by removing a PIR and having a light switch instead. This increased the circuit length from 3 metres to 12+ metres which increased the Zs.

I've taken all comments on board and in real life would use the manufacturers data for the protective device disconnection times but for the purpose of this project I wanted to stick with the information found in BS7671.

Thanks for all of your replies :thumbsup:

I overcame the problem by removing a PIR and having a light switch instead. This increased the circuit length from 3 metres to 12+ metres which increased the Zs
See the list directly above yours which is spot on.
Based on that please also do the calculation assuming the fault occurs within 1m of the DB. Then make sure the cables still comply with adiabatic.
Bs7671 doesn't contain all the data about class 3 protective device let through, but that information is necessary.

Reply to Adiabatic equation infinite loop in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock