Discuss adjustable multi output regulator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

reeve1987

i everyone, firstly, thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully help me out.

im not an electrician but have some fair know how for small electrical projects, but i could use some majour help on this project i have going.

basically im looking to take 1x 12v NiMh rechargable battery and run 3 devices from it, but i would like to be able to route its power through to 3 outputs where i can manually adjust the voltage and amperage of each output.

the outputs im looking at getting are 12v, 2000Ma and 2x 5v 1amp outputs, but both factors for each output MUST be variable between 1v - 12v and 0.5A to 2.5A (or higher).

im looking at placing the circuitry onto a basic breadboard for testing initialy then over to one of those copper plated boards with the holes in, (project boards?)

so i'd really appreciate some straight forward/easy to read instructions or schematic with what components to use.

can anyone help me out with that?

thanks again for reading and hope someone can help me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many adjustable regulator circuits on the net, these can range from relatively simple to quite complex.

Just one word of advice, if you want to avoid the more complex switch mode type regulator circuitry, then you will need to supply more than 12V to the input of the regulator, to be able to regulate down to 12V, also taking into account the voltage drop across the regulator.

unfortunatly the highest voltage battery i can go to is 24v i think.

im basicaly looking to make the whole thing myself, i just need something to be able to adjust the voltage and ampage on each channel manually. kinda like how pots work but for voltage and amps

unfortunatly the highest voltage battery i can go to is 12v i think.

If thats the case, then you will be limited to the switching type regulator, as you cannot get out more than you put in (voltage wise) with the simpler linear circuits.

As I said there are many different circuits available free on line, I would suggest an Electronics forum.

There are many topolgies for this type of circuit, probably using a purpose designed IC would be the easiest solution, again these range from fairly simple to quite complex.

Adjusting the voltage is not so much the problem, but by adding adjustable current limiting at the range of currents you require, is adding another layer of complexities.

Last edited:
A google search for 'Adjustable psu circuits' throws up many pages, similarly does 'DC-DC converter circuits'.

There are many data sheets from Maxim etal. with application circuits, which you can adapt to suit.

An electricians internet forum is not really the best place for the such a wide ranging and complex subject of psu design, as I said earlier there are many published circuits available free, which will be suitable for modification, and will enable you to tailor them to your own requirements.

okay i'll try else where because none of the ones i've found have the voltage and amperage adjustment features im looking for, they're all either way off the marks needed or lack one or the other.

someone else where had recomended this forum for help and i remembered i had an account.

oh and those curcuits you said are out there, they're all for single outputs, this one needs 3 outputs

oh and those curcuits you said are out there, they're all for single outputs, this one needs 3 outputs

Yes I know, it means you will have to run three in parallel, or in series parallel or other combination, the 0-5V ones after the 0-12v ones, either way you will need to build three similar 'channels', if you require three seperately adjustable outputs.

Last edited:
i dont mind building 3 as long as they're on the same prototype board. i just need help finding the schematics in a simple easy to follow way which i cannot find.

im sure i can work out how to get them all on the same board easily enough

im sure i can work out how to get them all on the same board easily enough

To be fair to you, there are a plethora of circuits out there, Short of designing one for you, I have given you enough information to help start you off.

I do come from an electronics background, and I would be normally commissioned to design such a PSU.

not really, ive searched for the schematics needed and not had luck, otherwise, i wouldnt be asking on forums.

im not going to pay someone for something thats freely available. if you wont be of any real help, i will find someone else who is.

i dont mean to sound ungrateful, but its not much to ask of anyone that when they rant on about information being available online they provide links for what they're looking for. if you came to me asking about computer related stuff, i'd be more than willing to provide links or documentation on the subject because i know its out there for free and providing that IS being helpful instead of just saying "google it"

Last edited:
okay well for someone who isnt sure what they're looking at hence asking for help, i will await someone elses assistance, either from here or elsewhere.

thanks all the same

Iam trying to help you, by steering you to the correct places to look for the information you require.

What Iam not prepared to do, is get into electronics circuit design on here, which is off topic for this forum.

The websites I posted above have more than enough information available to enable someone who is capable of electronics, to tailor the basic application circuits to suit their requirements, and there is a vast array of information available elsewhere on the net.

Here is an attachment of a relatively easy to use device for the adjustable voltage part, you will require three (for triple outputs) of the adjustable types, you will also need to add a foldback current limiter (adjustable) to each output, which you can search for on the net, this part of the circuit should be fairly easy to arrange.

Attachments

• MT2596_V1.00.pdf
    543.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
spark 68,
I think you've been remarkably helpful to the OP. I suspect that he's trying to make too great a leap from his existing knowledge.

To the OP,
Loads of PSU designs, kits and modules available. How about these from Quasar for example?
Power Suppy Kits, Projects & Modules

If you gave a bit more background (why you need both adjustable voltage and adjustable current limit), you might find a better solution. But as spark 68 says, there are better forums for this.

actually he hasnt been helpful, peoples reluctance to actually bother to offer any solid help on this is unimaginable. this is a GENERAL discussion i dont see why people are being so restrictive and un helpful

Is this a Wind Up ?

basically im looking to take 1x 12v NiMh rechargable battery and run 3 devices from it, but i would like to be able to route its power through to 3 outputs where i can manually adjust the voltage and amperage of each output

the outputs im looking at getting are 12v, 2000Ma and 2x 5v 1amp outputs, but both factors for each output MUST be variable between 1v - 12v and 0.5A to 2.5A (or higher).

im looking at placing the circuitry onto a basic breadboard for testing initialy then over to one of those copper plated boards with the holes in, (project boards?)

Because by your questions above, you say that you want to build it yourself, this implies that you have the electronics knowledge to do so, but you don't seem to know what you want, 2000mA is 2A, then you say you want 2.5A outputs, you said you had 12V input max, which you then changed to 24V!

I gave you links to technical data to help you, another poster gave you a link to pre-built modules, and you still think Iam being un-helpful!, unbelieveable!

got to be a wind up!

Last edited:
only wind up is you mate.

just because someone wants to build something doesnt mean they have the know how to do it. give me a list of components for the psu and a simple diagram and i can follow that to assemble it.

instead you link to complicated schematics, rant on about being commisioned for it and generally be as un helpful as possible.

you can take your friggin links and cram em up your ---,

i revised some of whats needed because it was mentioned they needed to be higher so i went back and adjusted them to accomodate that.

FOR A BEGINNER TECHNICAL DATA IS ****ING USELESS YOU -----

as for those prebuilt units, they dont seem suitable for being used with batteries, the outputs are fine on one of them but they look to be designed for taking mains power

Reply to adjustable multi output regulator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock