Discuss Ads on ElectriciansForums.co.uk in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Supporter
Reaction score
(this has been bought up on tilers so I made this thread, I've replicated it here, I haven't actually read feedback here about it.... yet... been busy with other things. But hang in there lads it will be minimal-ads soon)

I'm aware of the fact that at the minute there are a large amount of adverts on the forum being delivered via Google.

I've been doing some testing over the past month or so.

The idea is to eventually show ads to nobody but the people that click on them (so largely unregistered or new members) and only in the places they click on them.

So over the years we've moved forum software over, changed the style of the software we've ended up with, and yada yada yada. And I've ended up with old stats that don't work revenue-wise, and don't work for the members either.

So I've been running a lot of A/B tests (where the forum will run styles side-by-side) to work out what's working for the forum/revenue, and what's working for the members.

Some people have mentioned the ads, some have been more polite and just mentioned 'the style' or whatever. Thanks either way.

Couple of more weeks to go. And then I'll be able to finalise some settings. So that those who never click on ads, hardly ever see them, and the type of person that does, will see some.

It actually earns us less revenue when people see ads lots and never click them (I'm that kind of web user, I clock an ad a mile off and never click one, ironically) but for us to work out what the total ad-views would be if all saw ads, to then work out what the 'Goldilocks zone' is revenue-wise is, to then work out what amount of ads to view to which member is which would mean we earn less money, we need to do some testing. And this is usually ongoing.

So I thought I'd make this thread, which I'll lock, I don't want feedback about this, you haven't got the stats as one individual user reflecting the actions (not opinions) of hundreds of thousands of users, to explain what's going on.

Eventually, if you never click on ads, and post to the forum, you wont see Google ads.

However, you will always see sponsors ads. They're the guys that often offer discounts or have been recommended by the forum or whatever.

If you view the forum on a computer, as most do (despite what mobile-only users think, that's still the most used device on our websites) the sponsors banners are in the sidebar and not intrusive. If you're a mobile-only users they're below the main content, also not intrusive.

So please, when giving feedback about the forum and its layout, keep in mind that it's not complicated, it's just diversifying and trying to earn money to stay free for the members. And as a one-man-band, to work this shizzle out, it takes a bit of testing which we all have to 'suffer' (deal with).

Thanks

Says I can get rid of ads if I post a message.
Not only have I posted a number of messages, but I have also posted a new thread.
Ads still there.

Some times when clicking on a post I get the skip ads thing on the screen and could not read the post, wood spent at least 2 minutes skipping around the garden saying 2+2=4, 5+5=10,100+10=110, 1+1=6.
It does not work and have not been able to answer any competitions with the right answer,

Been looking for sparky jobs somewhere, and perhaps van or car insurance? They've probably just clocked you have your own transport and look for work online. And eat fast food.

Crafty these ad firms lol

Says I can get rid of ads if I post a message.
Not only have I posted a number of messages, but I have also posted a new thread.
Ads still there.
The system runs every 20 minutes to recalculate when you've posted etc so it takes a bit to kick in.

Reply to Ads on ElectriciansForums.co.uk in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock