Discuss Adult apprenticeship?? So confused in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Paper T

Morning guys,

I'm 29 and have just paid for my level 2 college course (2365) but I can't find work in London anywhere to start as a trainee. Would it be too late to get an apprenticeship somewhere?

I've been unemployed for the past month since leaving my office job that I've been in ever since graduating from University 7 years ago and I'm now currently 2 weeks into the Level 2 2365 electrical installation diploma. I've wanted to be a spark for many years and now I've finally taken the plunge (something I should have done a long time ago).

Does anyone know what the best route would be for me to get a job on site as a trainee? I've got 3 weeks experience as a mate where I was helping a friend on site but that project is now complete and on his new site they only need qualified sparks so I am no longer a requirement.

I have an ECS card and I've bought a CK electricians tool kit but I really can't find work anywhere. Obviously most employers are reluctant to give jobs to people with very little experience but I'm not sure what else to do and I'm really struggling financially as a friend who promised to get me a job on site after leaving my old job has failed to do so as work is drying up on the firm he is on.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

all i can suggest is to register with indeed, jobrapido, trovit, etc. for email alerts for jobs for sparks' mates in your area.

Thanks, I've done that. Would I even be classed a sparkys mate with only 2-3 weeks site experience though? Surely I wouldnt be much help to an electrician with such limited experience and knowledge? Ideally I want to start from the very bottom so I can learn the trade from scratch and I appreciate the time and effort I'll have to put in. Wouldnt a trainee position be better as opposed to a mate so I can learn it all the proper way? I cant find anything anywhere at the moment

start off by joining the trainee section of this forum. sometimes get opportunities for work from members.

If you did find a job with an electrician, I would try and go down the apprentice route. At your age though, you would have to fund it yourself and I believe it is around £7000 for the 4 years. You could even come to an agreement with your boss about paying you a little less of a wage and putting the rest towards your fees. Doing the 2365 and working at the same time is pretty much the same as an apprenticeship. So why not do the apprenticeship instead, if you can find a job in the first place that is.

Look for adult traineeships, they are for anyone over 21, the oldest in my class was in his 50's! Our company funded everything for us and we even started on £10 an hour compared to the apprentices £4 odds!

Look for adult traineeships, they are for anyone over 21, the oldest in my class was in his 50's! Our company funded everything for us and we even started on £10 an hour compared to the apprentices £4 odds!

Can I have an job at your place, prepared to start right back at the beginning for £10 per hr.

Morning guys,

I'm 29 and have just paid for my level 2 college course (2365) but I can't find work in London anywhere to start as a trainee. Would it be too late to get an apprenticeship somewhere?

I've been unemployed for the past month since leaving my office job that I've been in ever since graduating from University 7 years ago and I'm now currently 2 weeks into the Level 2 2365 electrical installation diploma. I've wanted to be a spark for many years and now I've finally taken the plunge (something I should have done a long time ago).

Does anyone know what the best route would be for me to get a job on site as a trainee? I've got 3 weeks experience as a mate where I was helping a friend on site but that project is now complete and on his new site they only need qualified sparks so I am no longer a requirement.

I have an ECS card and I've bought a CK electricians tool kit but I really can't find work anywhere. Obviously most employers are reluctant to give jobs to people with very little experience but I'm not sure what else to do and I'm really struggling financially as a friend who promised to get me a job on site after leaving my old job has failed to do so as work is drying up on the firm he is on.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

googling construction agencies and register with all of them. Get works as mate. Good luck

Are you being serious? You're qualified?
yes im serious, my boss is total tool and he doesn't even realise i have been gathering everything together to leave for some time and he is pencilling me in on jobs and not telling me where im working till the night before and quite often lately im working 14 hour days for no good reason.

Yeah I've seen your posts lately, get out as soon as you get paid, hope,you've got something to move onto, I'm sure it won't be too hard you're obviously clued up!

yes im serious, my boss is total tool and he doesn't even realise i have been gathering everything together to leave for some time and he is pencilling me in on jobs and not telling me where im working till the night before and quite often lately im working 14 hour days for no good reason.

Not being harsh here shanky, but sometimes people will treat you that way if you let them. Once you open the door to someone walking all over you, then it really is a downhill ride all the way. A fk off is in order, stick his job. Don't wait for pay, hand your notice in ... work it, he can't not pay you. Along as you leave in the correct manor.

Don't give your notice in till you get another job, better to be employed it just looks better, else go it alone.

got a few offers from agencies and this paycheck is enough to cover my bills for at least a year.

i dont rent and dont have any finance out apart from monthly payments on phone and insurance+tax

A monthly wage to cover bills for a year, and you want to leave the place lol!??! :tt1:

Reply to Adult apprenticeship?? So confused in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock