Discuss Advice for an old client in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gakure

-
Reaction score
Hi all
Just been invited by an old neighbor to check on their electricity as seen his wife died he have worried about them.
They have lived in the house for over 30yrs and he can never remember a trip.
True to his words the electric was done over 30yrs ago.
I was impressed during those years they used non combustible basic protection.
Anyway, I wanted to advice him on upgrading the CU but the installation look in good knick.
It's a TT, with 100mA RCD as main switch and rewireable fuses.
What could been your advice. See attached photo

100 mA RCD main switch, 30 mA rcbo's
Thanks Murdoch, although he have the 100mA RCD the don't have one for the sockets (30mA) do I recommend one? Unfortunately they don't have space left on CU, how do you go about?
Regards

That is a skill I have not yet mastered myself lol
In between, how do you attach photos?

Either use the upload a file (in between post reply and more options) this is for a pic either on your phone or computer tablet etc

Another option for pics from websites etc

Where your bold italics and underline selection is next row down

You will see a similey face a picture and a video

Click the picture one

Insert the link you have copied from the image source that you found (right click on the image copy link)

Hope this helps if not just shout

If your avatar is the photo, it looks like a rewireable unit with plug in cb's. If you want 30mA rcd protection, it's a CU change. Recommended, along with a few English lessons.

If he worried about the general safety of the instalation ?
Added with the general age if the instalation
Then an added RCD would be wise.
Can he afford the new cu needed for the extra RCD ?
best thing to do is tell the customer both sides of the story
Then let him decide.

Last edited:
If your avatar is the photo, it looks like a rewireable unit with plug in cb's. If you want 30mA rcd protection, it's a CU change. Recommended, along with a few English lessons.
Thanks, but I don't understand the English lesson bit, please elaborate.

What do his relatives think about the expenditure on a new CU, if he has any? I'm just thinking that the installation has survived & functioned for the last 30 years perfectly well. Why does the customer want a new CU. He may be somewhat vulnerable after losing his wife, not suggesting you are taking advantage, but it may be something he should discuss with them, just in case you do get accused :)

What do his relatives think about the expenditure on a new CU, if he has any? I'm just thinking that the installation has survived & functioned for the last 30 years perfectly well. Why does the customer want a new CU. He may be somewhat vulnerable after losing his wife, not suggesting you are taking advantage, but it may be something he should discuss with them, just in case you do get accused :)
Hi Midwest, you must have been listening to our conversation. That was exactly what I said to him (if the wheel have worked for over 30yrs, why reinvent it), the only thing I added was that the current regulation require socket of up to 20A to be protected by a RCD.
I thought to run it through with the experience forumist for my conscious.
At this point I will leave it as it is.
Thanks all

Thanks Murdoch, although he have the 100mA RCD the don't have one for the sockets (30mA) do I recommend one? Unfortunately they don't have space left on CU, how do you go about?
Regards

I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you need to ask these questions, I'm not sure you're ready to be doing this work.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you need to ask these questions, I'm not sure you're ready to be doing this work.
Thanks DPG for your inputs, I am not doing it, they asked for my opinion as a neighbor.
You are actually right, I have theory knowledge but no enough practical experience.
However, I can easily do the job, but I don't want to go the route of rogue trader who dont care provided they are paid. I have dignity and rectum to protect.
I currently don't have enough creditial to certify that kind of work...
Thanks again for your input.

Thanks DPG for your inputs, I am not doing it, they asked for my opinion as a neighbor.
You are actually right, I have theory knowledge but no enough practical experience.
However, I can easily do the job, but I don't want to go the route of rogue trader who dont care provided they are paid. I have dignity and rectum to protect.
I currently don't have enough creditial to certify that kind of work...
Thanks again for your input.

Cool. Is that a typo by the way or is it intentional?? :)

Reply to Advice for an old client in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock