Discuss Advice for career re: Apprenticeships in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

Since around November last year I have really gotten interested electrical work. I am lucky that my local library has a massive range of books covering the whole subject and since then I've probably been reading and watching videos 10-12 hours a week.

I applied to study level 2 electrical Installation at a nearby college but I've had to pull out as it just isn't financially possible at the moment. I live with my girlfriend and she will be studying to become a radiographer for the next 3 years, we wouldn't be able to afford everything we have on a students finance and an apprenticeship wage.

I'd just like to know if when I come to apply for an apprenticeship, will the employer favour a younger applicant with no knowledge over a 25 year old with a very keen interest?

Hey Paul, I'm in my first year as an apprentice and I'm 25, also a fair number of the apprentices at my college are over 21 so you're in good company.

In response to your question I think it varies from employer to employer when it comes to apprentices. Some colleges won't process applicants over the age of 21 so it might be worth calling the college up to check or applying directly to contractors. If you can demonstrate your dedication to the role then it'll put you in a good place. Hope that partly answered your question

If you haven't got any qualifications there is a scheme in place that will pay for your level 2 Electrical Installation.

* A mate of mine went to college when he was signed on got on his course then did that in the evening two nights a week did electrical mate work in the day.:thumbsup:

No worries Paul, tell me about it. Wish I'd started an apprenticeship when I was 17. Make sure you're checking all the websites too like indeed, findapprenticeship. Gov and other such websites on a regular basis and apply ASAP as they often cut short application cut off dates early. But honestly I'd call up as many contractors and enquire if they're taking on apprentices, that's how I got mine.

As I said, it wouldn't be financially possible to do right now although I know it'll be what I do. I've never been so interested in a choice of career.

I know a fella who manages the electrical apprenticeships for the NHS in my area which I'd imagine would be ideal, just a waiting game for my girlfriend to be finished her studies. Again though, appreciate it :)

If you haven't got any qualifications there is a scheme in place that will pay for your level 2 Electrical Installation.

* A mate of mine went to college when he was signed on got on his course then did that in the evening two nights a week did electrical mate work in the day.:thumbsup:

I’ve never known a scheme that will pay for level 2 2365 but funding as level 3 2365.

The Labour government introduced it a while back, I think you pay something towards it but nothing like what it costs.

Cheers

* Ask at the college

The level 3 2365 diploma qualifies for a student loan as a full time course but you will need level 2 first. Search the government website for info on student loans for more info.

That'd be ideal, but I've use 3 years of the 4 available years of funding for higher education.

Wish my parents had gave me a slap when I was 18 and said I wanted to do a degree in music haha.

Reply to Advice for career re: Apprenticeships in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net