Discuss advice for fitting new electric oven in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all we are looking at replacing our 14 year old zanussi single oven which is only 2.15 kw.
Some of the ovens we have looked at are rated over 3kw so need to be 16amp.
Is it possible to tell if our wiring will be able to cope with an oven over 3kw just by looking when i pull the old oven out.
Also what work would be required to enable a 3kw oven to be fitted.
thanks

1. is the new oven fitted with a plug top?
2. how is the existing oven connected? is it hard wired from a 45A switch?

a pic would help.

Is there a hob on the same circuit or just oven? more than likely it is wired with a minimum of 6.0mm cable. As Tel said post a picture of the oven outlet and consumer unit.

1. is the new oven fitted with a plug top?
2. how is the existing oven connected? is it hard wired from a 45A switch?

a pic would help.

haven't actually chosen an oven yet till we determine whether we can only have 13amp one or 16 amp and i haven't pulled the old oven out as yet to see what connection is behind it.
i will have a proper look tomorrow and get a photo
just thought i would ask beforehand
thanks

haven't actually chosen an oven yet till we determine whether we can only have 13amp one or 16 amp and i haven't pulled the old oven out as yet to see what connection is behind it.
i will have a proper look tomorrow and get a photo
just thought i would ask beforehand
thanks

As above mate. If you post a pic of the CU then that will give us a good idea of what you have. Or see of you have a 'cooker' breaker and tell us the size.

Is there a hob on the same circuit or just oven? more than likely it is wired with a minimum of 6.0mm cable. As Tel said post a picture of the oven outlet and consumer unit.

Have just switched both oven and hob on and flicked the cooker switch on the wall off and both went off so must be on same circuit

^^ that would suggest you have a dedicated circuit that is supplying the cooker and hob .............. what type of hob do you have?

what he said^^^^^.if you have a dedicated cooker isolator like this:
advice for fitting new electric oven {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

with or without a socket outlet, on a 32A MCB ( as labelled in your pic of the CU), you're good to go up to 15kW hob and oven combined. the actual connections will be behind or to one side of the oven via a cooker connection unit. like so:

what he said^^^^^.if you have a dedicated cooker isolator like this:

with or without a socket outlet, on a 32A MCB ( as labelled in your pic of the CU), you're good to go up to 15kW hob and oven combined. the actual connections will be behind or to one side of the oven via a cooker connection unit. like so:

advice for fitting new electric oven IMG_1904.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

advice for fitting new electric oven IMG_1905.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

as i thought. you should have no problems there.

as i thought. you should have no problems there.
Thanks that's good news i didn't want to order a higher rated one and find out it couldn't be fitted when it got delivered but also didn't want to order the lower kw one only to be told i could have had the higher rated one after all.
Will i be able to wire it in myself or would it be wise to get pay the extra £90 for fitting(eek)

Reply to advice for fitting new electric oven in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock