Discuss Advice Needed - CNC Machine Tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Squid

As you know I have been out of the "game" for a while so not up to speed with current regs, work practices, testing etc etc as the last test I did was clipping the leads to the apprentices ears and winding up the Megger, I can't remember the reading as the screaming made me loose concentration :D

Anyways,

My architect based down in Limehouse renting work space in a building bought himself a CNC machine and off course when he powers it up it trips the RCCB so I am looking to get some advice from the knowledgeable sparks on here so that I can pass the advice on to save him being ripped off.

Below I have pasted in a photo of his board as well as the label off the motor on the CNC machine (its not 3 phase BTW) he also tested the machine out in one oh hie "neighbours" work spaces and it works fine and nothing trips but as you will see from the photo the install is criminal and I have never seen a bodge like it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Advice Needed - CNC Machine Tripping Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 09.34.31 - EletriciansForums.net

Advice Needed - CNC Machine Tripping Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 09.36.03 - EletriciansForums.net

Advice Needed - CNC Machine Tripping Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 09.35.02 - EletriciansForums.net

and your pics show 2 different DBs.

could the 300Hz be the cause of the RCD tripping? motor incompatible with RCD.

How is he connecting this machine.
He said with a 3 pin plug on the end of the lead, but it works in one work unit fine but not in his, spec on the motor in the link shows 220 or 380, so the plate says 1.1kW so it looks like its the 4147-A motor as listed below due to the RPM.

Advice Needed - CNC Machine Tripping Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 12.19.30 - EletriciansForums.net

I'm no expert on motors but surely the 300Hz motor isn't designed for direct connectionn to 50Hz supply?

If he is plugging this to a 13A socket I can only assume the machine has a phase / frequency converter fitted which is an expensive bit of kit. This may also offer variable speed drive of the motor by changing the frequency. I wouldn't mind seeing the inside of the control enclosure. According the motor plate it is only a year old and maybe he should refer to the manufacturer with regards to the rcd tripping.

If he is plugging this to a 13A socket I can only assume the machine has a phase / frequency converter fitted which is an expensive bit of kit. This may also offer variable speed drive of the motor by changing the frequency. I wouldn't mind seeing the inside of the control enclosure. According the motor plate it is only a year old and maybe he should refer to the manufacturer with regards to the rcd tripping.
The thing is when its plugged in to a standard socket elsewhere (the one with the dodgy CSU) it works fine, I am trying to get some more info as we speak.

The thing is when its plugged in to a standard socket elsewhere (the one with the dodgy CSU) it works fine, I am trying to get some more info as we speak.

On the second board is the mcb for the circuit he is plugging in to defititely rcd protected?

I would suggest the 3phase motor is powered by a 1ph to 3ph VSD, the drive output been 300hz to generate the high speed tabulated on the motor. The motor seems to be designed for this going by the plate, as for the tripping, well the drive will probably be sending designed earth leakage in excess of the RCCB rating or taking it passed its limit if existing earth leakage exists from other circuits, was the other installation it was plugged into RCD covered?

Anyways,

My architect based down in Limehouse renting work space in a building bought himself a CNC machine and off course when he powers it up it trips the RCCB so I am looking to get some advice from the knowledgeable sparks on here so that I can pass the advice on to save him being ripped off.

Below I have pasted in a photo of his board as well as the label off the motor on the CNC machine (its not 3 phase BTW) he also tested the machine out in one oh hie "neighbours" work spaces and it works fine and nothing trips but as you will see from the photo the install is criminal and I have never seen a bodge like it.

Any help appreciated.

The implication being that if he calls someone the inevitable outcome is he'll be ripped off?
Sorry but I find that implication quite offensive on a public forum.
What is Joe Public viewing this post and considering getting an electrician in going to make of that?

Reply to Advice Needed - CNC Machine Tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock