Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers

Please visit our prime electrical forum sponsor - they have the best tools at the best prices. If you find a price better somewhere else, call them or contact them, and they may be able to beat it for you. Especially on an order of a few items.

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Advice needed on wiring for a log cabin in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Valizzo

Valizzo EF Member

Hi guys,

Me and my partner have recently decided to build a log cabin at the back of her mum's house.
    The electrician that the company's working with, is planning on using a 316 swa as the main power cable, but I have concerns as the cabin will be used as a permanent dwelling for a while and we'll have to fit an electric shower.

Now I'm thinking, we'd need something that should be able to handle at least 20 kw power draw to be on the safe side.

I'm not an electrician but based on my limited knowledge we'd need something rated for at least 90 amps.
    Please note the cable will be buried and around 25 - 30 meters in length.

I'm out of my depth here so advice and a second opinion would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, they quoted us £720 for the wire itself which seems a bit steep?

Thank you!

2. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

90 amps? What are you planning on growing in there?

Confirm with your electrician how he has worked out the maximum demand. If then your still not satisfied get further quotes from other electricians.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. ChrisElectrical88

ChrisElectrical88 Forum Mentor

Whos digging the hole? Whats the earthing system in the house? I take it will have electric heating for the power you describe?

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  4. Valizzo

Valizzo EF Member

They're doing the digging and everything. I'm not sure about the earthing system, the house was built in the 70s.
    Yes we're planning on going with electric heaters as gas would stretch our budget considerably.

5. davesparks

davesparks Forum Mentor

If you need a supply that big then you'd better get in touch with the DNO and arrange to have a new connection brought in to feed this log cabin rather than try to run it from an existing supply.

How did you arrive at a demand of 20kW after diversity? Considering the average house will run quite happily on about 4kW that seems over the top!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ChrisElectrical88

£720 to dig 20m and install 16mm 3c SWA?

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. Valizzo

Valizzo EF Member

No, that's just the price of the cable itself

8. Massive1

Massive1 Trainee Access

That Cant be right surely

• Like Like x 1
  9. Valizzo

Valizzo EF Member

I just roughly estimated the maximum demand with the heaters on during winter and shower running at full + appliances.
    I'm not 100 % sure if that's how it works exactly that's why I'm asking if that particular cable would be adequate.
    Thank you!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. ChrisElectrical88

Cable should be about 250 at the absolute most. He might have included for rods in that orice and labout, wouldnt know without seeing the quote

11. ChrisElectrical88

Tell the spark what you want and let him design it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    "Taking the Proverbial I think.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Valizzo

Valizzo EF Member

The labour is part of a different quote but the rods are most likely included in that.
    All in all it amounts to £3850 for everything including labour / switches / sockets / fuse board etc
    Was surprised as I expected the electrical work to cost less than the plumbing.

I did tell them exactly what I wanted and they did design it based on that.
    It's very convenient for us to go with them, as they can take care of the plumbing and everything as well.
    They assured me the 16 mm is adequate for what we need, I just wanted another professional opinion on the matter as time is of the essence, although I know details are very limited.
    I really appreciate your help, thank you

14. Valizzo

Valizzo EF Member

It's not an assumption, it's what's on the actual quote.

15. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    16mm is fine as regards current capacity, volt drop could be a factor though. your cable cost should be no more than £200.