Discuss Advice needed please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hadley

-
Reaction score
advice needed please if anyone can help I have a three phase generator on site that is going to power up one of our machines, the cables that are on it are L1,L2,L3 and earth there is a space for neutral but it hasn't been used, inside the electrical panel there is no destinct neutral or earth bar, also there is a neutral inside the panel connected to the same place as the incoming earth, there is a 230v socket on the side of the panel which I'm guessing needs the neutral but wounded that mean that the earth would have current passing through it, any idea the correct way this should be wired.

Thanks any help would be appreciated.

The earth and neutral are generally derived from the same point that being the star/wye connection of the generator windings, the neutral/earth point.

It looks like the Neutral is derived locally, but if the generator is adjacent to the incomer shown then this should be OK but the PEN conductor should be marked as such.
I would usually expect the Neutral and earth to be supplied at the generator the connection has been moved in your case to the main board.
Neutral and Earthing of local generator supply.gif
ESQCR regulations:
General requirements for connection with earth
8.—(1) ...
(2) ...
(3) A generator or distributor shall, in respect of any low voltage network which he owns or operates, ensure that—
(a) ...
(b) every supply neutral conductor is connected with earth at, or as near as is reasonably practicable to, the source of voltage except that where there is only one point in a network at which consumer’s installations are connected to a single source of voltage, that connection may be made at that point, or at another point nearer to the source of voltage; and
(c) ...
(4) A consumer shall not combine the neutral and protective functions in a single conductor in his consumer’s installation.
(5) Paragraphs (1) to (3) shall not apply to a network which is situated within a generating station if, and only if, adequate alternative arrangements are in place to prevent danger.

It looks like he has been doing something because one pic shows one neutral conductor at the rcd, another it has two. Same with the bar to the right, one pic nothing, another it has a cpc and neutral.

Reply to Advice needed please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net