Discuss Advice needed please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm not an electrician but joined the forum to ask for some advice on using terminal blocks. My old flat roof has started leaking and water was coming in through the ceiling switch and travelling down the pull cord - although it clicked on and off the bulb wouldn't turn off. I removed the fuse for lights in my house straight away and took the entire switch off to allow things to drain and dry out. I have hopefully made the flat roof watertight for now but it needs to be replaced which will take a while to organise. I want to isolate the wires with a terminal block so that I can put the fuse back and have lights everywhere else. So please can you tell me which amp terminal block I should use and any other advice on making it safe would be gratefully appreciated. Many thanks

A terminal block is not water proof. If you have failed in making the roof water proof then that may not suffice. I would be inclined to disconnect the light in question from the lighting circuit. That may require an Electrician.

Is the water only coming in the pull cord and no other light affected by the leak then the switch wires to the pull cord could be disconnected but will mean that this light would not work a picture may help advice given?

Hi OP: Is the water leak dripping onto the pull light switch or is it getting wet due to the water near it?
If it's dripping near the list switch then @buzzlightyear suggestion of an umbrella may not be that silly. Put it over the light fitting area to keep the water away from it.
Without looking at the wiring its hard to correctly suggest what is best to use while the switch dries out. Maybe the below links will be ok for what you need at a temp solution, while the switch dries out.
http://cpc.farnell.com/wago/222-413/terminal-block-w-lever-3cond-4mm/dp/CN12062?st=wago
http://cpc.farnell.com/wago/wagobox/box-junction/dp/CN12369?st=wago box
Again, this is only a suggestion as I don't know how many wires there are.
Any chance of a pic?

A terminal block is not water proof. If you have failed in making the roof water proof then that may not suffice. I would be inclined to disconnect the light in question from the lighting circuit. That may require an Electrician.
Thanks Vortigern, easier said than done at the moment as the flat roof is over a 1980's single storey extension shower room and separate loo. Both rooms have their own lights and switches and not immediately obvious where the circuit runs in from the original house. Probably easy for an electrician though. Hopefully the overlapping corrugated sheets I have covered the roof in will keep the rain out until I can replace it.

If you want to enclose it for some additional safety, pop along to a screw fix and pick up a Lighting Wago box, put the terminals on the end and then put them inside the box, slide the cable into the cord grip and clip it closed.

With regards to the roof... if you have an area where the felt has worn through, get yourself a tin of Flexacryl paint. It's a thick gooey paint that includes glass fibre for filling gaps. Can be applied to damp surfaces as well if memory serves and is dam good at sealing leaky roofs. May buy you a little more time to get the roof sorted.

Is the water only coming in the pull cord and no other light affected by the leak then the switch wires to the pull cord could be disconnected but will mean that this light would not work a picture may help advice given?
Thanks Anthony, yes just that switch affected. I have disconnected and removed the pull cord fitting completely leaving just the 3 wires hanging from the ceiling - the fuse is still out. I have another bathroom so lights are not needed in there and no lights at all for now but able to use lamps throughout the house. I am hoping just to make it safe for now.

Hi OP: Is the water leak dripping onto the pull light switch or is it getting wet due to the water near it?
If it's dripping near the list switch then @buzzlightyear suggestion of an umbrella may not be that silly. Put it over the light fitting area to keep the water away from it.
Without looking at the wiring its hard to correctly suggest what is best to use while the switch dries out. Maybe the below links will be ok for what you need at a temp solution, while the switch dries out.
http://cpc.farnell.com/wago/222-413/terminal-block-w-lever-3cond-4mm/dp/CN12062?st=wago
http://cpc.farnell.com/wago/wagobox/box-junction/dp/CN12369?st=wago box
Again, this is only a suggestion as I don't know how many wires there are.
Any chance of a pic?
Thanks spoon, to be honest its hard to see where the water is actually getting in as the old roof is covered with gravel, so it all has to come off. Meanwhile I have covered the roof with overlapping plastic corrugated sheeting so that should reduce the water coming in. There are 3 wires, red black and the earth, will try and get a pic in the light tomorrow.

Last edited:
Rather than just going out and buying a junction box and some terminals could you just buy another pull switch?
MK 6A 1-Way Pull Cord Switch White - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-6a-1-way-pull-cord-switch-white/17309
For £3.50 you may as well. Then when the other one dries out use it as a spare.

Rather than just going out and buying a junction box and some terminals could you just buy another pull switch?
MK 6A 1-Way Pull Cord Switch White - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-6a-1-way-pull-cord-switch-white/17309
I'm presuming the list switch is a 1 way....

If you want to enclose it for some additional safety, pop along to a screw fix and pick up a Lighting Wago box, put the terminals on the end and then put them inside the box, slide the cable into the cord grip and clip it closed.

With regards to the roof... if you have an area where the felt has worn through, get yourself a tin of Flexacryl paint. It's a thick gooey paint that includes glass fibre for filling gaps. Can be applied to damp surfaces as well if memory serves and is dam good at sealing leaky roofs. May buy you a little more time to get the roof sorted.
Thanks for the advice sparkychick, will have a look at that on screwfix website. Can't actually see where roof is leaking owing to gravel on it - wonder why they used to do that? The roof needs to be done sooner rather than later so will be finding someone asap.

I believe the gravel was to help prolong the life of the primary material (most likely felt) by providing mechanical protection and also UV protection by preventing the sun hitting the roof surface.

Edit:- If you're in my neck of the woods (Cardiff, Newport and the areas in between primarily), drop me a PM if you need some assistance with the electrics.

Good idea but need to make sure water isn't sitting above ceiling and won't get into that one too. Yes it is a one way switch.

Good idea, just need to make sure water isn't sitting above ceiling and won't get into that one too. Yes it is a 1 way switch just pull on and off.

If there is no danger of anyone touching it or working with it and you have isolated it putting a couple of 15a connectors on it will be fine as a temporary measure
Thanks Matthew, the room needn't be used at all so no danger of it being touched, just been worried about the fire hazard.
(Happy St Patrick's Day!)

Last edited:

Reply to Advice needed please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net