Discuss Advice Needed: Upgrade of Commercial Supply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. Brand new member looking for guidance.

Am trying to take a lease on a commercial premises but I require a lot of electricity. See attached the photo of whats already in the premises. I'm being told its only a 45 kVa supply.

I require (I think) a 300amp supply. I dont really know my watts from my amps from my kva but what I do know is that the machinery I need to run 24/7 will consume about 3000 kw per day. Its a data centre but I dont really understand the ins and outs of the electrical supply.

So the landlord has told me its 45kva (I have the MPAN if it helps) but the photos (attached) I'm told look like 3 phase. Can someone please help me the f out as I am totally clueless.

Landlord has applied for a quote to upgrade the supply which can take 4-5 weeks, and then the works up to 12 weeks. They cant even confirm IF the supply can even be upgraded which sounds odd considering another unit on the site has a "300 kva" supply. No idea what this work will cost either.

Any help much much appreciated before I sign a 10 year lease.

Ta

IMG_6188.JPG

I can't really help in terms of upgrading the supply but you will need to get some more exact figures with regard to load in order to work out what you need. When you say 3000kW per day I'm guessing you mean kWh? Thats would equate to 125kW of load which comes to around 550A. To run this I would think you would be looking for at least a 200A 3ph supply, more if you are planning to upgrade in the future? Best thing is probably to discuss your needs with an electrical contactor used to working with commercial/industrial to design the instalation and calculate the maximum demand and therefore the size of supply required.

As you say this will be a data centre, do you also need UPS/generator backup?

If you need a 300amp supply, the photo you provided shows 60-80amp fuse holders with a 40-100amp meter.

I don’t think you will be getting more than 100amp without major upheaval.

Call a spark along to look at your requirements and have a look at that Main supply a little closer.

Getting the DNO to organise you with a bigger supply won’t be cheap.

550A supply - that's a lot of aircon and a big server farm! What's the sq/ft of the building? Surely at that level both the HVAC plant and IT suppliers involved will have exact specs of what is needed and will have done all the sums?

Now I'm curious...

Data centre with computer gear that doesn't need a UPS.
..and it must be one big building for a supply that size.
I did an upgrade to 400amp for a new build printers with 2 10 colour Heidelberg printers and a load of other 3 phase equipment a few years ago.

You would need a new upgraded supply, the existing supply is too small. You will also need metering upgraded to CT metering, whole current only used up to 100 amp. I would check with dno to see if large enough supply is even available.

Reply to Advice Needed: Upgrade of Commercial Supply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net