Discuss advice needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Always a case of motivation - I'm guessing it's another £--- so unless you need the qual, I'd be tempted to buy the books and have a read :)

If you want to part with hundreds of pounds to spend a week studying an alien language and then spend 100+ hours compiling a project written in that alien language crack on...

Alternatively, just spend the money on something more useful.

If you want to part with hundreds of pounds to spend a week studying an alien language and then spend 100+ hours compiling a project written in that alien language crack on...

Alternatively, just spend the money on something more useful.
Ok just I get a £1000 a year to spend on a course and not sure which one to go for to be more employable

If anything, even as a fully qualified spark this qual could potentially make you less employable in practice.

Realistically, no professional training provider would let you sit this course without being fully qualified anyway.

Why don't you spend your money on something more useful? What are you about? What qualifications do you have? What sort of work are you looking for? What direction is your path in life leading?

If anything, even as a fully qualified spark this qual could potentially make you less employable in practice.

Realistically, no professional training provider would let you sit this course without being fully qualified anyway.

Why don't you spend your money on something more useful? What are you about? What qualifications do you have? What sort of work are you looking for? What direction is your path in life leading?
I have level 2and3 electrical installation, 17 edition, 2394 and 2395 testing and inspection and an ecs adult trainee card

I have level 2and3 electrical installation, 17 edition, 2394 and 2395 testing and inspection and an ecs adult trainee card
Yoy said you aren't an electrician.

I thought you said you weren't an electrician?

If indeed you have all of these quals then that changes my response.

By all means complete the 2396. It will make you more knowledgeable. It won't however be guaranteed to make you more employable.

I'd be tempted to save the money if possible to spend on your NVQ and AM2.

I
I thought you said you weren't an electrician?

If indeed you have all of these quals then that changes my response.

By all means complete the 2396. It will make you more knowledgeable. It won't however be guaranteed to make you more employable.

I'd be tempted to save the money if possible to spend on your NVQ and AM2.
Cant save the money the army give me £1000 pound a year for 3 years to do on courses

I
Cant save the money the army give me £1000 pound a year for 3 years to do on courses

Do it then. If it's free money and will go if not spent then why let it go to waste.

If you want to be employable though, get your nvq done. That should be the priority. Once you've got a gold card that will be the moment you become employable. With the 2396 though, depending on what you want out of it, it might be wise not to upgrade to a tech card when allowed to do so. Some people I know with tech cards find employment difficult when applying for jobs as electricians. Up to you really.

I think in your position I would look to do BS5839 and/or BS5266 courses in emergency lighting and Fire alarms. The design course is for someone like me who is ready to be put out to pasture and sit at a desk all day doing piccys of electrics on projects etc. (BTW im not ready for pasture just yet)

You need to save your wages up to the point that you come out of the army. You will need to be able keep yourself whilst working as an electricians mate for 2 or 3 years to make sense of all the courses that you've done. After about 18 months you could try agency electricians mate work for a change of experience but there is no denying that you need that experience.
Fair play to you though for having spent what they gave you for resettlement and for being in the army in the first place - I certainly appreciate what you were prepared to do for this country.

I don't know if it would benefit you, don't know anything about you.
Would have a better idea as to what would benefit you, if we had more info.
For instance:
Have you already left the army?
What if any was your trade in the army?
What rank?
What do you intend doing after leaving the army?

Reply to advice needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock