Discuss Advice on ballast replacement please (T5 ring) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have two identical ceiling lights which use T5 fluorescent ring tubes (1 x 40w). Both tubes work OK in the working light so I tried swapping the ballasts which moved the fault so I'm assuming it's a faulty ballast.

The working one is a 3AAA YZ-140EAA and I'm looking at a
Osram QTP-M 1x26-42/220-240 as a replacement.

My main concern is that the Osram has 6 power connections and the 3AAA only 4. There's a diagram on the casing of the Osram which does show a connection using 4 of the connectors but my interpretation of the diagram is that it's telling me to connect the two spare connectors together rather than leave them unconnected.

Am I interpreting that diagram correctly?

Any advice gratefully received.
Wayne

Actually it may just be that the Osram one isn't pictured correctly on any of the seller's sites I've looked. The unit number doesn't seem to match on the photo.

change the tubes to LED and dump the ballasts.

no, you can just replace the tubes with LED. omit the ballast, just feed L and N to the tubes in original fitting.

no, you can just replace the tubes with LED. omit the ballast, just feed L and N to the tubes in original fitting.
So any recommendation on which LED fittings to best replace a 40W ring? For the moment I've ordered a ballast but in the longer term some sort of replacement would be good - the T5 rings are hard to source other than online and mail order is always risky with such fragile items.

They are the old circular floris.

Reactions: 123
missed the OP 's ring.so my bad. just replace the fittings for some that were designed after 1970 then,

Theres LED retrofit's for nearly every type of tube. Do some research and I bet you'll find something.

Best to get rid of all the gear and go LED.

I have searched but I think those circular tubes are not worth the expense of producing and led equivalent.

Thanks guys. I've ordered a replacement ballast and it will hopefully be obvious how to fit it when it arrives - online photos mismatching the actual product seems to be a common problem. I do want to replace the lights but not right now as we've got a big bill to pay for roof repairs.

Reply to Advice on ballast replacement please (T5 ring) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock