Discuss Advice on becoming an electrician - Liverpool based. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to change my career and I have decided I would like to take up a trade. I am looking for courses in Electrical. In mainly the Liverpool area. I know there are college courses but they start in September, so ideally I was thinking of doing something in January. If anyone has come across courses that you can do earlier that would be most appreciated. Or if anyone has any suggestions on where to start or how best to start that would also be great.

Thanks,

Rob

Best way to do it is do a proper apprenticeship. It might be low paid to start off but there is no other way to gain the required experience and no better way that to learn off someone who has done the same thing. Domestic installer courses etc will not give you the knowledge you need. The longer route is the better one in my opinion

Thanks the only issue I may have is that I will be 32 this year, so I am not sure what to do, as I am too old for an apprenticeship.

welcome to the forum rob.,and you want to change you carrier .
good for you .first of all you will need plenty of monies for self funding to go on courses .you need to start working for a company and work you way up the ladder to become a fully Q/spark. and don't ask how much monie you will get or the gods from above will down on you!

Never too old, as buzz said just make sure you have some money set aside to keep yourself going and keep an eye out for an employer!

Thanks very much for the advice. Would anyone be able to recommend the best place to do a course? Also what would be the best way of contacting companies? Would I be best to do the course first?

Hello Rob
Depending on your previous experience & technical ability you could try part P and seventeenth addition route.
If you are based in Liverpool you could try In-Phase Training Ltd (Boundary Street, Liverpool).
Good luck with your new career.
Thats brilliant, I will have a look at how much the course costs.

Hi Rob,
I'm doing the same, I have technical background in Electronics, telecommunications and data networking. I found myself driving a bus until I started ranting at a pr-erson in a car and decided to leave.
I'm 39 next month and I am currently 3 months into a Level 3 diploma in Electrical Installation at my local college. So far Level 2 has cost me £1500 and Level 3 is costing £3,500, thankfully I have an Adult Learning Loan for level 3. My end plan is Self Employed Domestic.

Hello,

I am looking to change my career and I have decided I would like to take up a trade. I am looking for courses in Electrical. In mainly the Liverpool area. I know there are college courses but they start in September, so ideally I was thinking of doing something in January. If anyone has come across courses that you can do earlier that would be most appreciated. Or if anyone has any suggestions on where to start or how best to start that would also be great.

Thanks,

Rob
Do you drive

So I had some quotes from In Phase

We run a beginners electrician course which is the City and Guilds Level 2 Electro Technical Diploma. This course runs at 6pm til 9pm one night a week for 30 weeks. After you complete the Level 2 you need to do the Level 3, a NVQ and then an AM2 course.

Prices are:

Level 2 and Level 3 each cost £1914.00 (£3828.00 in total) which is payable in either of the following ways:

£319.00 each month for 6 months
£478.50 x 4 instalments which are normally 6 to 8 weeks apart.

The NVQ price is £1020.00 which is payable in 4 instalments.

So I had some quotes from In Phase

We run a beginners electrician course which is the City and Guilds Level 2 Electro Technical Diploma. This course runs at 6pm til 9pm one night a week for 30 weeks. After you complete the Level 2 you need to do the Level 3, a NVQ and then an AM2 course.

Prices are:

Level 2 and Level 3 each cost £1914.00 (£3828.00 in total) which is payable in either of the following ways:

£319.00 each month for 6 months
£478.50 x 4 instalments which are normally 6 to 8 weeks apart.

The NVQ price is £1020.00 which is payable in 4 instalments.
Not sure of the Forum's rules on advertising, so bear with me if I'm wrong please, but should we be allowing such blatant advertising, or is it all above board? personally not my cup of tea, so there Ive stamped my foot, chucked my Teddy out of the pram.

Not sure of the Forum's rules on advertising, so bear with me if I'm wrong please, but should we be allowing such blatant advertising, or is it all above board? personally not my cup of tea, so there Ive stamped my foot, chucked my Teddy out of the pram.

I’m not advertising, I’m in no way affiliated with the company. I am merely showing prices that was on there website and was given to me. I am merely after an opinion on whether it’s worth doing. Or maybe better enrolling on a college course. Which I assume there would be some costs for the college course being over 19.

As currently I am not working.

You might find the college option more in depth. If I read that right 3 hours a week for 30 weeks, the college course(s) I am on is 2 full days each week from September to June minus term holidays. Also at college you will need to pay for the Level 2 course, as I put it was £1500 for me, which is being paid of in bits on a monthly basis. The Level 3 I am on at the minute is being funded by an Adult Learning Loan for £3,000ish quid.
Depending on what route you go, you don't "need" the NVQ and AM2. I know plenty of time served domestic electricians who have neither.

You might find the college option more in depth. If I read that right 3 hours a week for 30 weeks, the college course(s) I am on is 2 full days each week from September to June minus term holidays. Also at college you will need to pay for the Level 2 course, as I put it was £1500 for me, which is being paid of in bits on a monthly basis. The Level 3 I am on at the minute is being funded by an Adult Learning Loan for £3,000ish quid.
Depending on what route you go, you don't "need" the NVQ and AM2. I know plenty of time served domestic electricians who have neither.

I am thinking the college option could be the better option. I am going to email them and see what the costs are based on what I have been given from In Phase.

I have emailed the colleges so I am waiting to get back. I may see if its possible to get some work experience with an electrician. As training on the job would be great.

I’ve bought a C&G Level 2 book and I am looking at doing the Pat testing course at In Phase. See if I can get some funding for the Level 2 course at College.

Any recommendations on a Pat Testing book?

Reply to Advice on becoming an electrician - Liverpool based. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net