Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Advice on cost for swapping C.U. old for new please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. branler

branler EF Member

Hi, i have been quoted £455 for removing existing C.U. (no RCD) and replacing with a new one with 2 RCD's (toolstation have them for £78)

there are 9 circuits in all, it seems a bit steep to me, but perhaps i am out of touch. it is easy to access.

i would appreciate any comments.

Thanks.

2. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    it's about right considering the work involved. not just the installation, but testing of all circuits, earthing and bonding,a couple of minor fault rectifications may be included. completing installation certificate.a full day's work. whereabouts in the UK are you, as prices vary according to location.

4. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

OP - where in the UK are you?

The cost of the CU is only part of the costs.....

5. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Does bonding need doing/upgrading?

6. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

That sounds like a fair price, but if you shop around you can probably find a cowboy to do it for a bit less, just don't touch any of the metalwork after they've finished!

• Like Like x 6
  7. rolyberkin

rolyberkin Electrician's Arms

Hi

Just consider you are not just paying for the cost of materials and time, you are paying for someones knowledge, the time and cost spent at college learning, the constant cost of updating this knowledge to the latest regulations including mandatory ownership of current regulation guidance notes, the purchase of test equipment,calibration of test equipment purchase of torque drivers to ensure the cheap consumer unit you mention is fitted according to manufacturer instructions, public liabilities insurance, cost of suitable tools, van insurance, van road tax, diesel for van to get to your hose, the time spent doing the job, the time afterwards filling in paperwork, tax on the money you actually pay the person, notifying the local authority and most importantly your peace of mind in knowing the job is done properly and will not cause a fire, that the installation is to regulations and will not electrocute you or your family.

When you take all the overheads and tax away it is about right, some customers seem to think that as self employed you don't pay any tax and all of that money goes straight in your pocket, it doesn't! £450 seems about right to me.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Wot do ya reckon he'll do it for, for cash :eek:

9. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

All true of course, that is if the bloke doing the CU swap has all the things you mention.

• Like Like x 1
  10. branler

branler EF Member

Thanks all so much for your quick responses. I live in East Essex.
    Looks like the consensus is that it is about right, so i will go with him, i just thought i would ask your opinions, the first guy i phoned never turned up so i don't have much choice. lol.

11. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

And of course you will receive an Electrical Installation Certificate on completion.

PPS and notification to LBC

12. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

Yes, make sure that he is a registered member of one of the Competent Person Schemes or notification to the local authority won't happen.
    He/she should be listed here Competent Persons Register | Home - http://www.competentperson.co.uk

13. branler

branler EF Member

i just checked, and he is, thanks for very useful advice

• Like Like x 1
  14. 7029 dave

7029 dave Trusted Advisor

It is in the right ball park, you ain't being turned over. Roy down the pub might do it for £300. (or less)

15. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    and your electrician should arrive wearing a steel suit of armour. otherwise he could spontaneously combust if his joints are loose. :p

• Like Like x 2
  16. D00DY_T00DY

D00DY_T00DY Gorilla Whisperer Electrician's Arms

And a pint of course.

17. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    £300 and 5 pints. final offer. :)

18. D00DY_T00DY

D00DY_T00DY Gorilla Whisperer Electrician's Arms

299.99 and 4 1/2.