Discuss Advice On Finding Work as an Electrician in the UK in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Oli999

-
Reaction score
I qualified as a domestic installer about 6 years ago but have been unable to work for the last 5 years due to ill health. I'm now looking to get back to working again. I don't feel that I have the necessary experience to go it alone yet so am looking to work with someone as an electricians mate. My plan is to ring around electricians and offer to work on a cash, daily basis. The reason for this is that I'm guessing most electricians wouldn't want to take me on as a full time employee, creating a load of extra admin and having to pay me on days when there's no work.

Does this seem like a decent strategy and if so, what would be a reasonable daily rate to ask for? I live in Bradford so will be looking for work around the Leeds/Bradford area.

You need to make sure you pay tax whatever you do. I don't think it sounds professional asking to work on a cash basis. Why don't you setup a company and sub-contract yourself to them. Then you can do the odd day or whatever for various sparks and bill them for the day's work.

I wouldn't offer yourself on a cash basis though you won't have the correct protection should something go wrong.

You could become a sole trader, register on the CIS scheme, and work for contractors who are CIS registered, who would deduct 20% tax from you daily pay.
As to what is an appropriate day rate for an electrician, would depend on the work and the hours. A rate of £15 per hour is often quoted, but can be more or less. You would need to consider travel costs etc.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into CIS registration. Sounds like it'll be helpful as I was intending to pay my taxes and this looks like it'll simplify things.

There's a government web site, with a fairly easy registration process. Ensure the contractor you work for is registered, and if you work for them as a 'one off', make sure they give you documentation on how much they paid you & the tax deducted. If it's a contractor you going to work for regular, and end of tax year form will suffice. You'll need the documentation, to give to your accountant/book keeper or end of year self assessment.

You tend to find as a new business it's well worth going legitimate because there are so many benefits.

Do we have a resident accountant?

Reply to Advice On Finding Work as an Electrician in the UK in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net