Discuss Advice on Insulation around downlights in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tasty

Hi all,

I've heard a few differing opinions on this and I thought I'd turn to you guys as you seem to know your stuff better than the average Joe.

I'm installing down lights in a house which is completely bare at the moment, finished all the wiring and now the boards and insulation are going in. My question is regarding how I can limit the lights being surrounded by insulation in the areas I will not have access to. For example, the bathroom is positioned so that the roof slopes approx 1-2 feet above the joists; once the ceiling is up with holes drilled and wires dropped through I cant get access again. Do I need to ensure the guys doing the insulation make a gap or do this myself? Or would you simply push the lights up against the bottom of the insulation? All lights will have hoods and be fire rated etc.

All floors and ceiling are insulated with isovar mineral wool, various thickness', A1 Euro fire rated (can be moved and thinned out where I have access). Foam insulation in the attic roof lining, so a bit harder to get around (would you core this out with the boards for best results?)

I gave directions on how the cables were run etc regarding insulation to the home owner so they're aware of the regs (not fully surrounding cables etc).

So I guess my only real areas I'd like your thoughts on are the firm insulation in the roof and the bathroom ceiling (where I have no access after boards go up). Everywhere else has easy access for adjusting cables, foam etc.

Cheers in advance!

Stu

100mm from light fittings. The insulation firm should know this but tell the customer to remind them or you will have to stick your hand up the hole and rip out the foam.

Hi I would personally in the roof fit the Click GB400 Insulation Support Boxes at first fix stage. cant go wrong with these, insulation can go right up to and cover the boxes. If fitting Low energy lamps the insulation can cover the fitting any how.

can't see the point in all this insulation. after all, global warming has turned this country into a tropical climate, it never gets cold enough to need heating, all our electricity can be generated by the tsunamis that are expected in the irish sea shortly, the Fire Brigade can downsize and move into the pennines as all land below 1000ft. will be under water due to the polar ice caps melting.

insulation should have no gaps! ie continuous so fitting down lights is a pig plus always clip your cables so they aren't surrounded in insulation.
I always cut / move the damn stuff out the way after the DS has viewed the installation of the insulation (try saying that 3 times in a row) just before it gets closed up!! seen alot of crispy cables due to that dam stuff! not on my watch !!!.

agree with groucho the click insulation boxes are the ticket for this problem
come in 2 types one for roofspaces that are accessible and one for sub floors to fit between joists

can't see the point in all this insulation. after all, global warming has turned this country into a tropical climate, it never gets cold enough to need heating, all our electricity can be generated by the tsunamis that are expected in the irish sea shortly, the Fire Brigade can downsize and move into the pennines as all land below 1000ft. will be under water due to the polar ice caps melting.

Thanks for that i live in the middle of it ,think ill get my trunks on ..............What i would do with the down lighters is get some 150mm soil pipe and place this over them so that the heat will escape ,insulation guys just get in and cover them up round here they have been installing 150mm of insulation god knows what effect thats going to have on the heat dissipation and rating factors of the cables

Reply to Advice on Insulation around downlights in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net