Discuss Advice on long SWA cable run and new supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a house with a standard mains supply coming down a pole in the front garden to a brick meter housing.
I also have a bungalow that is 350 metres away and is also supplied from my existing mains supply via an underground SWA cable (7 strand 1.1-1.4mm so 10A I think max) 50 metres past that is another building which is to be replaced by a new house.
I have ordered 2 new 5KVA supplies which will also come down the pole and terminate in 2 new utility cabinets which will house the meters on either side of the existing brick built one.
I then intend to run 2 x 16mm 2 core SWA cables underground to replace the old SWA cable to the bungalow and supply a new supply to the new house. The new house will have 5kw solar panels and possibly a Tesla powerwall and be very low energy requirements.
Couple of questions...
1) I intend to put earth spikes on each end of each cable connected to the armouring, is this ok?
2) Is there any reason I can't run the two cables in one 63mm dia twin duct? (I mean is there an issue with capacitance or something)
3) The cable run is across my own land, garden, field, driveway I assume I just use common sense approach as to cable depth and include tape above it?
4) Best place to buy the SWA cable from?
Regards
Jim

I don't know the best answer to this, but 2 questions come to mind:
Why the spike at each end of the SWAs?
What earthing system do you have?

Back to the op on a more serious note, I very much doubt the supplier will connect anything without a test cert from a sparky.....

I don't know the best answer to this, but 2 questions come to mind:
Why the spike at each end of the SWAs?
What earthing system do you have?
Hi,
The existing SWA is earthed at the far end only, it was installed in 1970's
So, it seems logical to me to earth each end?
At this stage I am only concerned with running the cables in correctly, neither supply will be connected for some time (house not got planning yet)
Regards
Jim

Back to the op on a more serious note, I very much doubt the supplier will connect anything without a test cert from a sparky.....
Hi, the supplier is only putting the mains supply in, they are not connecting to anything. Once they are in I choose a meter provider who installs just the meters.
Regards
Jim

Hi,
House hasn't got planning yet so I'm along way off appointing an electrician. All I need to do at this stage is run the cables in, the supplies, won't be used for some time to come.

Yet you are asking questions regarding the installation of power cables to regulations....
Can't have one without the other..

Yet you are asking questions regarding the installation of power cables to regulations....
Can't have one without the other..

As above ^^^. I would have thought all you can do at this stage is get some trenches ready.

Reply to Advice on long SWA cable run and new supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock