Discuss Advice on old style junction box for cooker - need to replace cooker, told box illegal? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Katoli

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone, there is an electrical cooker already in situ and still connected to this junction box. Have been told box is illegal. I have no idea why, box has been checked inside and is earthed. Can anyone tell me what the issue is please so that I know how to install the new cooker? Big thanks in advance.

Advice on old style junction box for cooker - need to replace cooker, told box illegal? Junction Box - EletriciansForums.net

Advice on old style junction box for cooker - need to replace cooker, told box illegal? Cooker (2) - EletriciansForums.net

It probably doesn't incorporate cable restraint for that hanging cable to prevent stress on terminations. Easily rectified by dropping a bit of trunking down to an outlet plate. Illegal is taking it a bit far.

The “box” or cooker switch is not illegal. It will pose no danger providing it is deemed electrically sound and undamaged.
The cable from the switch to the cooker however is unsafe in its current state and requires some mini trunking to tidy it up and prevent it being accidentally pulled or damaged.
A local electrician will be able to help.

The normal response of oven fitters is, if the cooker switch is within 300mm of the cooker edge this is "illegal". The switch in this case appears to be well within 300mm of the cooker edge but over 600mm above the hob so it should be safe enough.
The cable exit from the wall is not ideal at all and would preferably be channelled into the wall down to a cooker outlet plate, but just supporting the cable and protecting it from heat damage would be sufficient to be acceptable.
It appears from the photo as if you have a plug with flat twin and earth in it on the right, this may be just the quality of the photo, but would not be good if this is the case.

There is almost certainly cable restraint inside the cooker box
A dangling cable is not the best means of connecting and it looks shabby
Trunking with cable into cooker outlet,then connect cable from cooker into the outlet

Love the illegal quote,I needed a good laugh for the hangover :)

A bit of tidying up should be enough to scupper the electrical police from raiding your kitchen and locking you up for a long time ;)

Hi everyone, there is an electrical cooker already in situ and still connected to this junction box. Have been told box is illegal. I have no idea why, box has been checked inside and is earthed. Can anyone tell me what the issue is please so that I know how to install the new cooker? Big thanks in advance.

View attachment 39956

View attachment 39957
Don't see how it can be ILLEGAL as the regulations (BS7671) is not a Law, but the install maybe doesn't comply with BS 7671 in that the cable is not secured, and could put strain onthe connections within the Cooker Control Unit (CCU) Who told you this? not BG was it?

Would you install it this way and stand back and think ye I’m happy with that? Looks shocking that’s why and to put a connection unit lower down so it doesn’t look as poor
Cooker switches were often installed at this height in older properties, as cookers with eye level grills were common

Thank you so much for all your advice, everyone. I'd willingly pay an electrician to install the new cooker but I had one installer arrive who said he could not install the cooker because the box was "illegal" and he was "not able to fit a new box". My main dilemma is this is rural North Wales and NO ONE will do the job! One electrician said he was fully booked until end of September 2018 and none of the others will even return phone calls! I cannot find an electrician to come to the Betws-y-Coed area. We would do it ourselves and are pretty handy with 'normal' DIY, woodwork, simple plumbing etc, but is installing the new cooker something we can safely do ourselves? Or can anyone find an electrician in this area?? Many thanks again!

Thank you so much for all your advice, everyone. I'd willingly pay an electrician to install the new cooker but I had one installer arrive who said he could not install the cooker because the box was "illegal" and he was "not able to fit a new box". My main dilemma is this is rural North Wales and NO ONE will do the job! One electrician said he was fully booked until end of September 2018 and none of the others will even return phone calls! I cannot find an electrician to come to the Betws-y-Coed area. We would do it ourselves and are pretty handy with 'normal' DIY, woodwork, simple plumbing etc, but is installing the new cooker something we can safely do ourselves? Or can anyone find an electrician in this area?? Many thanks again!
Don't worry, it doesn't look serious and is certainly not illegal. As has been stated, a bit of adhesive backed, white plastic mini trunking covering the cable will do for the time being, with a low level outlet at a later date, maybe.
edit. Sorry, misread. You need to install new cooker? It's only a small job for an electrician. Keep trying to find one.

Reply to Advice on old style junction box for cooker - need to replace cooker, told box illegal? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock