Discuss Advice on old Timer/Programmer for Electric Heaters please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been asked to replace some old electric panel heaters with some new Electric radiators.
I have found an old programmer/timer on the Kitchen wall for the old heaters.
All the old heaters are on their own circuits in the CU but there is also a seperate fuse/circuit for the old programmer. Anyone know how these things are wired and operate? (Photos attached...sorry, no manufacturers name visible).
I need to bypass the old timer/programmer as obviously the new rads have their own thermostat/progs etc.
However I can't work out how the old timer is connected and operates as each heater is on its own circuit? It was probably installed around the 1970's.
When I pulled the fuse for the old timer/programmer, there was still power at the individual heaters.
Any advice on how these things work would be appreciated!

IMG_20180115_102343357.jpg IMG_20180111_090756026.jpg

IMG_20180111_090809359_HDR.jpg

I would expect to find a relay in the old heaters with a permanent supply connected to it.
The 2 channel timer, with 4 heaters per channel would then energise the relay to power each heater.

There would be 2 cables to each heater, 1 for power from the CU, 1 for control from the timer.

Optionally, if each heater has both a normal and setback thermostat, the control circuit can switch it between the two settings, marked as high and low on the override switches. In the programmer each control circuit passes through the override switch on the panel to the timeswitch contacts. The clock motors are supplied by the separate programmer fuse.

BTW if the timeswitch is redundant, I would be happy to pay your costs to save it and send it in for our museum collection. I have been looking for one of these for a while.

I have a very similar setup on a flat I bought as a rental. Instead of one timer like you show, I have 2, side by side, and one is for the hall and living room, the other for the 3 bedrooms. Also, the rocker for auto,low,high on yours is auto,off,manual on mine, and there are no other switches for each radiator. The finish is exactly the same otherwise so must be the same manufacturer, methinks. Anyway, each of these is connected to a "box" below, a relay of some sort, which I presume actually switches the load to the radiators. Sorry, I haven't any photos. There is also a teleswitch. Frankly, I don't know how it all operates as I have never lived there, but my various tenants have never complained so I presume it all works well enough. I will be changing it when the present tenant leaves, so will be asking you all for some ideas on the best way to go! Lucien, I will be happy to donate it all to your museum!

Optionally, if each heater has both a normal and setback thermostat, the control circuit can switch it between the two settings, marked as high and low on the override switches. In the programmer each control circuit passes through the override switch on the panel to the timeswitch contacts. The clock motors are supplied by the separate programmer fuse.

BTW if the timeswitch is redundant, I would be happy to pay your costs to save it and send it in for our museum collection. I have been looking for one of these for a while.

Hi Lucien,
You're more than welcome to it...I have no plans to keep it for future spares!!
Send me your address and I'll gladly stuff it in a Jiffy bag and post to you. Not sure how this works re your postal address...people sometime talk about "PM'ing" personal info to each other..but, being a bit of an old salt not sure how this works?! Maybe you know?

Thanks for advice. Appreciated.

Hi,
I have been asked to replace some old electric panel heaters with some new Electric radiators.
I have found an old programmer/timer on the Kitchen wall for the old heaters.
All the old heaters are on their own circuits in the CU but there is also a seperate fuse/circuit for the old programmer. Anyone know how these things are wired and operate? (Photos attached...sorry, no manufacturers name visible).
I need to bypass the old timer/programmer as obviously the new rads have their own thermostat/progs etc.
However I can't work out how the old timer is connected and operates as each heater is on its own circuit? It was probably installed around the 1970's.
When I pulled the fuse for the old timer/programmer, there was still power at the individual heaters.
Any advice on how these things work would be appreciated!

View attachment 40280 View attachment 40281

Thank you everyone who has responded. Back to customer next week...hey ho.

One further thought...the apparent 'neutrals' in the timer control box...are they really SL's & not Neutral's at all?
In other words...to bypass this control box could I just connect the Live & 'neutral's' (SL's?) to give a permanent live back to the individual heaters?

Hi Lucien,
You're more than welcome to it...I have no plans to keep it for future spares!!
Send me your address and I'll gladly stuff it in a Jiffy bag and post to you. Not sure how this works re your postal address...people sometime talk about "PM'ing" personal info to each other..but, being a bit of an old salt not sure how this works?! Maybe you know?

Thanks for advice. Appreciated.

To send someone a PM, click their profile picture and a little dialog will appear. In there will be a link 'Start a conversation'. Click that and you'll be editing a message that is sent to that particular user.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks mate, very helpful...I need all the help I can get with this media stuff!
you need to be aged under 12 to cope with it. i struggle sometimes. took me a year to learn how to copy and paste without carbon paper and solvite.

Reply to Advice on old Timer/Programmer for Electric Heaters please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net