Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Advice on Pulling 6 mm2 single core cable through 20 mm Conduit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Maximus Rumpas

Maximus Rumpas Guest

Hi,

I would like to ask your advice about how difficult it might be to pull cables through 20 mm plastic conduit. (easy, moderate, hard, impossible)

I am running two separate lines for a cooker and hob in 6 mm2 single core stranded cable. Both runs will follow the same route.

4 meter run from distribution board via 90 degree inspection bent to an inspection box next to soil stack.

Next 2.5 meter run through Bathroom/Kitchen wall to an inspection box under sink (minor set to allow for wall levels)
    Then either
    4 meter run, chased into wall via 90 degree inspection bend to a third inspection box.
    or
    4 meter run via 300 mm drop to Floor level - two 90 degree inspection bend to the third inspection box.

Lastly 1.5 meter run to cooker or hob isolation switch.

On completion permanent access to inspection boxes - limited access to 90 degree inspection bends.

Your thoughts please.

Kind regards
    Max

2. Sintra

Sintra The Innkeeper Staff Member

Mate they make conduit in larger sizes than 20mm. I would go 25mm.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Maximus Rumpas

Maximus Rumpas Guest

Thanks Sintra,

Due to limited clearance in some areas I would like to avoid using a larger conduit if it were possible to use 20mm. If the advice is that it is impractical then I will have to use a larger size.

Max

4. gazzaabc

gazzaabc Guest

I'm not understanding you? Can't you just tell us how many cables are in any one conduit and the sizes of the cables? You will struggle with 6mm in 20m conduit a specially with a bend. I think that's a no go

5. ayjay

ayjay Guest

you need 25mm and a spring to bend it and some lube
    or use singles,not twe

6. gazzaabc

gazzaabc Guest

[email protected] the lube technique :) fairy does the trick every time. U will get 10mm if you use fairy lol jokes

7. Maximus Rumpas

Maximus Rumpas Guest

Hi Gazzaabc,

I thought I had - separate feeds to cooker and hob in 6 mm2 single core stranded cable Live, neutral and a smaller earth. Three cables in total in one conduit run. I thought I might struggle and that I should go for 25mm but wanted to check first.

Kind regards
    Max

8. Maximus Rumpas

Maximus Rumpas Guest

Hi ayjay,

Never mentioned twin and earth. Question stated single core.

9. gazzaabc

gazzaabc Guest

If the earth is smaller you will defo get 3 cables down a 20m pipe if only 2 of them are 6mm. You won't even struggle

10. gazzaabc

gazzaabc Guest

Max if your using plastic pipe you can buy 2 types of elbows! Buy the larger type. it's a bigger and longer bend but its not as harsh on the bend as the smaller one and makes life a lot easier.

11. Sintra

OP stated "I am running two separate lines for a cooker and hob in 6 mm2 single core stranded cable. Both runs will follow the same route." I am taking this as 2 circuits 6 x 6mm singles.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Maximus Rumpas

Maximus Rumpas Guest

Hi Sintra,

O, I see how I might have confused you, sorry. One run for the cooker and a second for the hob. each conduit carries 2 x 6 mm2 + 4 mm2 earth. Apologies to all.

Max

13. Sintra

All clear now lol.

14. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

One's an elbow, the other a bend.........I believe!

15. GLENNSPARK

GLENNSPARK Electrician's Arms

washin up liquid eh?.....jesus wept...don`t you dare!!
    to the O/P.....go and get some 77........