Discuss Advice on Pulling 6 mm2 single core cable through 20 mm Conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

was in firestation this week too and had to get cable from light switch to relay's and it was packed and i struggled to get a single brown through... and wasnt even in a position to drill new hole, the way pannel was designed and set into wall.... old sparks , who needs them

well ive seen em with that many cables in em eng....its a wonder how they ever managed to get em all in there at all...

heres a prime example of something i came across a bit back at a factory i was doin some work on....lol...

View attachment 16205

That doesn't even look like trunking to me, more like structual steelwork??

Needless to say, that amount of fill through a male bush, is just not acceptable!! CODE 1++!! lol!!

ahhh, go on. sure i could get a couple more in there with a bit of lard.

That doesn't even look like trunking to me, more like structual steelwork??

Needless to say, that amount of fill through a male bush, is just not acceptable!! CODE 1++!! lol!!
its old trunkin eng.....with all the lids of ov it (side mounted)........i found it to be overpopulated......together with neutrals entering metal enclosures on their own.....and other nastys like that.....

I take it then, that you have never heard of maximum conduit fill?? Your suggestion would contravene just about every rule in the book!! lol!!

as you seem to be quite the expert can you tell me the maximum % fill in a conduit and then also tell me what the % fill will be with 5 x 6mm singles in it ? my guess is that it does not break any rules but not having tried it i dont know if it breaks the rules or not so i better just ask the expert !!

as you seem to be quite the expert can you tell me the maximum % fill in a conduit and then also tell me what the % fill will be with 5 x 6mm singles in it ? my guess is that it does not break any rules but not having tried it i dont know if it breaks the rules or not so i better just ask the expert !!

Why don't you work it out for yourself and prove yourself wrong.

Ok as I am in temp accommodation at the moment and don't have access to my bible I have been at my mates and trying to figure this out but the more we look at it the more confused we are becoming, for a 3 meter length the correction factor for 6mm is 88 but over 3 meter it drops to 58 i would have thought this would have been the other way around but there you go never mind that but if the op could have kept the run between his boxes to 3m instead of 4 then he could in fact run all 5 conductors needed in a 20mm conduit and not break a single rule but the extra meter makes it not work but its been a nice little refresher for me thanks guys but only conduit I use these days is to sleeve an outside light cable and I am sure in the multitude of regs changes since I needed to know they have changed this the same as everything else so I stand corrected sorry for doubting anyone but it was all over a meter

Ok as I am in temp accommodation at the moment and don't have access to my bible I have been at my mates and trying to figure this out but the more we look at it the more confused we are becoming, for a 3 meter length the correction factor for 6mm is 88 but over 3 meter it drops to 58 i would have thought this would have been the other way around but there you go never mind that but if the op could have kept the run between his boxes to 3m instead of 4 then he could in fact run all 5 conductors needed in a 20mm conduit and not break a single rule but the extra meter makes it not work but its been a nice little refresher for me thanks guys but only conduit I use these days is to sleeve an outside light cable and I am sure in the multitude of regs changes since I needed to know they have changed this the same as everything else so I stand corrected sorry for doubting anyone but it was all over a meter

I can't check with anything to hand, but i'm pretty sure your wrong, maybe your relying on straight runs i would imagine here. Now try working it out with a single bend, as the OP has stipulated. I think you'll find a big difference in the outcome!! And that's apart from actually getting the cables pulled in to a 20mm conduit!!

And, with these short straight lengths of 20mm conduit, imagine removing and reinserting at every bend, elbow or even conduit box......could be quite difficult.

you can get bends and inspection elbows at screwfix, would use metal conduit myself with singles and use plastic just for telecom/data etc but that's just me maybe....

Using inspection elbows pulling in 5 6mm singles and you can guarantee scuffing insulation off the cables!! Inspection elbows and Tee's haven't been allowed on any major specified project installation since the 80's, these things can rip insulation to shreds. They should have been pulled/discontinued completely in my opinion... Inexperienced electricians that can't fabricate a decent conduit system tend to like them, ...though why they don't use Tee conduit boxes or angle boxes i don't know!! lol!!

I've done it so it is possible gonna need two of you to feed and pull lots of cable lube and lots of swearing. (don't use washing up liquid it damages the cable). It's unfortunately a long process of pulling through a short length then lube and pull and lube, but doable.

Good luck

I had to tap off trunking one day in steel conduit and instead of bending like a master i used boxes to get to desired place, i can do 90 bends and thread it only lol the rest always ends up wrong.... But sure someday il jump on a job where there is loads of piping and get chance to practice .

Was considering buying pipe myself but havent yet.

Reply to Advice on Pulling 6 mm2 single core cable through 20 mm Conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net