Discuss Advice on replacing consumer unit and DIY rewire of kitchen in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Roborant

Hi

I'd like some advice please to make sure I'm not being made to do unnecessary work by my electrician, and whether or not I can do some DIY work myself that he says he’ll need to do.

I'm planning on renting out my house, so I've hired an electrician to carry out an Electrical Installation Condition Report. The two things I’d like advice on are:

1. He says that my consumer unit doesn’t have RCD protection on the lighting circuits, so he has to put in the report that he recommends that it’s changed for one with an RCD covering all circuits. And he says that it might invalidate my insurance if I choose not to have recommended work done.

Is he right about recommending this and about my insurance possibly being invalid if I don't replace the consumer unit?

2. I’ve also asked him about upgrading the wiring in my kitchen to thicker cable and a higher rated MCB. Ideally I’d like to do the rewiring myself and have him check over it to save some money. However, he says he would need to do the work so he’s “able to sign it off with building control”.

Is that right? I thought building control notification was only for work in bathrooms nowadays?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. It’s the first time I’ve used this electrician and I just want to make sure he’s not taking me for a ride.

Many thanks

I would say that the no rcd on the lighting circuit would be a c3 at the most as it is not at current regulations. But as far as I am aware it should not invalidate your insurance and does not need to be upgraded as just because there is no rcd it does not mean it is not safe.

As for the rewire of the kitchen yes he will need to do the work as a rewire assumes that the full cabling in the kitchen will be changed which makes it a new circuit and there for needs to be notified so he is right on that one he would need to do it as you are not going to find a spark who will sign off a partial rewire that you have done.

What do you mean by upgrading kitchen to thicker wiring.

What do you mean by upgrading kitchen to thicker wiring.

The way I took it it probily has a 2.5 radial on a 16 or 20 Amp and probily wants a 32Amp so needs a bigger csa wire or turning into a ring but I could be wrong that's just how I took it.

What other comments are on the Report.

The way I took it it probily has a 2.5 radial on a 16 or 20 Amp and probily wants a 32Amp so needs a bigger csa wire or turning into a ring but I could be wrong that's just how I took it.
Best not to assume until the OP clarifies what they are on about.

Thanks Baker1988 that's useful to know. And you're right about my intention for the kitchen rewire. I was planning on upgrading it to a 32Amp circuit.

Thanks Baker1988 that's useful to know. And you're right about my intention for the kitchen rewire. I was planning on upgrading it to a 32Amp circuit.
Do you know what circuit you already have? What size circuit breaker is it?
Also as said above was there any other recommendations on the report?

It's a 2.5 radial on a 20 amp breaker. It's tripped a couple of times when there were lots of appliances on at the same time in the kitchen, so I thought I'd ask him about upgrading the circuit.
There were a few other minor issues he identified on the report that were easily fixed, but nothing else affecting the kitchen or the consumer unit. Except he said that the breaker for my solar panels needed replacing anyway, since it's a different brand to the others, which apparently isn't allowed.

Yeah sounds like you could maby do with a upgrade in the kitchen if there tripping the mcb.

And as for useing a breaker of a different make I'm honestly not sure about that maby one of the other lads can help with that one but I would say that it does state in the manufactures instructions that you need to use the correct breakers that are made for that board so would be best to use the correct one but if it fits correctly and is mechanically and electrically sound then just leave it. Out of curiosity what make is the consumer unit and what make is the stray circuit breaker.

Using the manufacturers breakers is recommended
They test their boards to meet particular standards, adding a different type would mean you are altering their product
In some hypothetical case where the consumer unit fried,it would not be unreasonable to see that alteration as a get out clause for your insurance company to reject liability

Especially on this forum. It's like trying to solve a whodunnit in the first scene. Just let the plot develop :)

I knew who the murderer was in The Mousetrap, in Act I. :) Well I had my suspicions.

It's a 2.5 radial on a 20 amp breaker. It's tripped a couple of times when there were lots of appliances on at the same time in the kitchen, so I thought I'd ask him about upgrading the circuit.

Can he not just put a 2.5 cable onto the last socket and wire it back to the new 32A breaker? Make a ring out of the kitchen circuit. That way there may be less work that needs doing.

Reply to Advice on replacing consumer unit and DIY rewire of kitchen in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock