Discuss Advice on tax free allowance of up to £2500 for mileage, tools and PPE. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Matthew Garside

I am on the books at a firm as "transport provided" but very regularly use my own car with no mileage paid whatsoever, only single time rate after 15 miles one way. I also provide the majority of my own hand tools and power tools, as well as things like work pants.

I understand you can do a self assessment as a PAYE paying employee for tax relief for amounts under £2500, to cover the cost of mileage, maintenance, tool and clothing replacement, and can get your tax code changed as well as claiming tax back for up to 5 years?

Can anyone clarify this or offer any advice on the matter in general?

Is the firm a JIB firm paying JIB rates ? If so you should be getting "own transport" rates instead of "transport provided"
Any use of your own vehicle apart from commuting to and from work when not being recompensed for it should be refused by you. They either give you a van to use or pay you to cover vehicle costs.

Is the firm a JIB firm paying JIB rates ? If so you should be getting "own transport" rates instead of "transport provided"
Any use of your own vehicle apart from commuting to and from work when not being recompensed for it should be refused by you. They either give you a van to use or pay you to cover vehicle costs.

Believe me, I would rather be "own transport". Vans are provided but they do not have enough for everyone. The site I am now has one six seater van and 12 lads. No travel time paid as it is under 15 miles from the yard and mileage is never paid in general. They are not JIB registered and follow the guidelines at times.

I understand that is a dispute for me to have with the firm but believe me when I say it would get me nowhere.

I am really looking for advice on how it is possible to claim back for the mileage to an unfixed place of work (I believe it is 40p per mile) as well as claiming for replacement PPE, hand tools and drills etc which I provide myself. I believe you can claim upto £2500 by self assessment. As I have always beem on the books and had tax taken care of I am not familiar with how this works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also make sure you have got the appropriate cover on your car insurance - a normal policy will not cover this use.
Daz

I worked for a similar employer who I did my apprenticeship. I left them when I became qualified :)

If you suggest you can make up to £2500 in less tax, I would consult an account, which should cost you up to £500. You could even ask the taxman, if you can be arsed to wait on the phone to speak to one of them!

You'll need documentation for everything you claim.
Fuel receipts.
Log of business mileage on a daily basis and private mileage.
Receipts for everything else you claim.
You may need a statement from your employer to say you were not provided with transport.

HMRC won't just give you cash for free.

They do me, they give me a tax rebate. Then 2 years later say I haven't paid enough tax. They have twice told me I was still working for an employer I retired from 4 years ago and gave me an emergency tax code. Having spent an hour each time on the phone to them 'computer says no', for them to say 'oh yes, I see now you retired in 2013'!

Flipping tax man.:mad:

Same as me.
I usually get an unexpected refund early in the year due to "Review of previous years"
To be told later in the year I owe £--- and the following years Tax code has been revised as my primary income isn't sufficient to cover it.
This year 16/17 it was £9k, I'm expecting the second letter any day now.

However that refund was not instigated by me.
Try claiming one and it's a million questions.

Anyone can register and complete a tax return. In many countries it is compulsory for everyone. Once registered you are able to personalise your returns and this could be an advantage. It's worth looking into if you are required to travel from depot to different work sites, but you can't claim for simple commuting to depot, for example. And you need to keep a little log book of date, start finish locations, purpose, miles.

They do me, they give me a tax rebate. Then 2 years later say I haven't paid enough tax. They have twice told me I was still working for an employer I retired from 4 years ago and gave me an emergency tax code. Having spent an hour each time on the phone to them 'computer says no', for them to say 'oh yes, I see now you retired in 2013'!

Flipping tax man.:mad:
But did you give them your correct name of George?

Anyone can register and complete a tax return. In many countries it is compulsory for everyone. Once registered you are able to personalise your returns and this could be an advantage. It's worth looking into if you are required to travel from depot to different work sites, but you can't claim for simple commuting to depot, for example. And you need to keep a little log book of date, start finish locations, purpose, miles.
You'll need documentation for everything you claim.
Fuel receipts.
Log of business mileage on a daily basis and private mileage.
Receipts for everything else you claim.
You may need a statement from your employer to say you were not provided with transport.

I wasn't expecting free cash but I was wondering about how strict they are with the documentation. I wasnt aware I could do a self assessment until recently so havent kept receipts etc and if I made a log book it would not be 100% accurate. I think my best bet is to be more organised from here on in.

A colleague of mine has had his tax code changed permenantly to account for his spending. Do you know whether this is normal or whether I am likely to have to undertake log books etc and do a self assessment every year?

Re tax codes - many ways to skin the cat - I did one return and HMRC kindly suggested a code that minimised tax so that over the next year (with the same circumstances) I wasn't out of pocket.
Re mileage - understanding you don't have complete records, but since April 2016 what can you recall? Maybe you can recall trips to jobs, prompted by invoices, emails, calendar etc. It doesn't have to be a complete record, just accurate for what you claim. If one does get any allowance from employer this will need to be deducted. Hope that helps :)

Re tax codes - many ways to skin the cat - I did one return and HMRC kindly suggested a code that minimised tax so that over the next year (with the same circumstances) I wasn't out of pocket.
Re mileage - understanding you don't have complete records, but since April 2016 what can you recall? Maybe you can recall trips to jobs, prompted by invoices, emails, calendar etc. It doesn't have to be a complete record, just accurate for what you claim. If one does get any allowance from employer this will need to be deducted. Hope that helps :)

Ah so they permanently changed your code based on that one year?

I was on the same job for the whole year so that aspect isnt a problem. I used my own car 2-3 times per week as well as travelling to a pick up point for the vans when spaces were available. I couldnt recall exact dates but I could hazard a "guess" I suppose?

I'm not sure the taxman is into best guesses. If you going claim something you'll need to prove it. As suggested you might want to employ the services of an accountant. You can have a meeting with one, might only cost you a few quid or FOC as mine did for the first meeting. Find out what you believe is a goer or not.

When I left employment and went self employed, I ended up having to submit 4 years worth of self assessment to claim for tools purchased.
I had intended to claim the tool purchases as start up costs, but was informed by HMRC that I would only be allowed second hand values.
Instead I requested back dated self assessment forms for the past 4 years and claimed the purchase costs.
Although I had all the receipts for the tools, I was never asked to provide them.
Since being self employed, I claim travel, subsistence and laundry, amongst other expenses, most of which I am unable to provide receipts for.
For travel, I use the HMRC mileage rates, or the actual tube fare.
I use google maps or Microsoft Autoroute to work out travel mileage.
Am unable to provide receipts for the tube fare, for the period when I had an Oyster card, and now can only provide bank statements.
For subsistence, I use the HMRC daily rate.
For laundry, I use the actual cost of a service wash, but am unable to provide receipts, as the ticket stub is handed over to get the washing.

Reply to Advice on tax free allowance of up to £2500 for mileage, tools and PPE. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock