Discuss Advice on Unsatisfactory EICR report in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Take the money for the rent but unwilling to spend money to keep the people inside safe.
Grossly unreasonable comment, which I think others online have recognised. If you don't have anything useful to contribute, perhaps its better to contribute nothing.

If you look at the EICR it says "safety assessment requested by client". I was clear that I'm looking to replace the CU and deal with all the problems associated with it.

So...so far I've employed a qualified electrician to do the EICR, and will do so again to replace the CU including RCDs, re-size the main earth and bonding, put correctly sized tails and install new immersion heater. Go figure how much that means paying to a qualified electrician.

I'm not at all unwilling to spend money on what I need to, but I don't like ----ing it away. So I know I'm perfectly competent to change a ceiling rose and a double socket, but I know I can't do an immersion heater, or a CU.

The sparky that did the EICR is only offering "to see what he can find" for £500. That sounds like a high risk to me, which is why I'm looking for more information.

For IR faults or any faults for that matter on a EICR or board change im likely to do or done i quote the hourly rate. You pay the first 2 hours no matter what and then each hour there after. So 3 Hours £80 or whatever. If i dont find the fault in a house in half a day im going to be disappointed in myself. Thats each fault, looking at his report due to filling in 100MOhms on all and no ring main readings, im not sure what the faults are or even how many. Id average it out at a maximum of £100 - 120 a fault.

Obviously once faults are found there will be additional time and materials to rectify.

The whole EICR is a shambles. But I suspect quality was not on the ops list of priorities when choosing a contractor.

The inspector was chosen by my estate agent, is registered with NAPIT which is a UK government accreditation service so has presumably been vetted, his registration is on the EICR. What else do you think I should have done?

You've completely unjustifiably assumes that I am a cheapskate trying to avoid using a qualified electrician. Nothing is further from the truth.

I don't know about the EICR, that's why I posted it. If there are inconsistencies between the EICR and the proposed work (both as prepared by a competent, qualified and registered electrical inspector), I'm not competent to identify them so I would hope that the good and helpful people on this forum would help.

To start with, the inspector should not be stating stuff should be replaced in the report.
Should not be using the term ‘18th’ instead should use ‘BS7671’, if anything
There’s no reason given as to why there should be RCD protection for faults.
Why are the undersized tails and bonding conductors C3, but the main earth C2?

Personally I am coming across landlords who now have the policy of one electrician does the EICR another the rectifications. While of course I would welcome the work of both the EICR and remedials I can see a conflict of interests there and agree it is a fair policy. It encourages when a problem is noted, that it is indeed a problem not a pitch for un-needed work. Not that that is my practice I hasten to add it just makes me more careful.
Fault finding is a notoriously difficult area and I can sense your trepidation in handing over what may appear to be a blank cheque. However I would tend to examine the possible faults with a view to rewiring if it is more cost effective under the advice of the person ordering the work. After all, I could probably rewire cheaper than the cost of a couple of days fault finding.
The good thing about someone else coming in to do the remedials is that you get a double check and ensure a mistake was not made in doing the IR tests and they left something plugged in or did not bypass a neon or forgot about the USB sockets things like that. Second opinion is good.

left something plugged in or did not bypass a neon or forgot about the USB sockets things like that. Second opinion is good.
Hmmm, I recently fitted USB sockets on upstairs and downstairs rings. I don't recall any neons though, but it's possible.

What should you do with USB sockets when doing leakage and IR tests? Disconnect them?

Thanks for advice and understanding.

Hmmm, I recently fitted USB sockets on upstairs and downstairs rings. I don't recall any neons though, but it's possible.

What should you do with USB sockets when doing leakage and IR tests? Disconnect them?

Thanks for advice and understanding.

It depends on what the manufacturers recommend. Some sockets can be left in place but they will adversely affect insulation resistance test results (usually just the L-N tests).

We don't perform leakage tests in the normal course of carrying out an EICR, however if we get low IR results, it's not unusual to perform a direct leakage test by using an earth leakage clamp meter on the meter tails.

If there were things in circuit that adversely affected the IR results, one would expect to see a suitably low result in the schedule of test results (by suitably low I mean less than 1 Mega ohm), but the test results are all claiming >100 Mega ohms so either the statement about excessive leakage is bogus or the test results are incorrect, they can't both be true (IMHO at least).

The immersion heater issue, as has already been said it's possible this is a non-issue because it may actually have a cut out, it's just not accessible with the terminal cover on.

Given your location... are you in the country at the moment? I'd like to see why the hall ceiling rose needs replacing :)

I bypass the socket with wagos. It does occur to me that while you say you are competent to change a ceiling rose etc. I would tend to question that in the sense that any work you do may invalidate certified work. If you did work and made a mistake you have no defence at law and it may invalidate any insurance. I only flag that to you as sage advice I am sure you can actually do the changes you mentioned as a practical matter but not so much in a legal/regulatory manner as a landlord.

Given your location... are you in the country at the moment? I'd like to see why the hall ceiling rose needs replacing :)
I'm also interested in that - I decorated the house top to bottom last year and replaced a few ceiling roses, not sure about the hall though.

No, I'm in Azerbaijan at the moment. But I'll have a look when I'm back in the UK.

I’m a little suspicious of the high earth leakage.
IR results are >100 Mohms, which would suggest there is no earth leakage.
When conducting IR and Zs tests on installations with USB sockets, precautions should be taken. Simplest would be to disconnect them.
A recent test of a number of USB sockets conducted by Electrical Safety First showed problems with high earth leakage on USB sockets from 3 manufactures.
Investigation into UK socket-outlets incorporating USB charging points | Electrical Safety First - https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/professional-resources/technical-e-news/investigation-into-uk-socket-outlets-incorporating-usb-charging-points/
I’m also sceptical that the BS 3871 MCBs are type B.
I suspect they are in fact type 2.

The old Wylex push button mcbs which fitted the Standard range of consumer units are identified as BS3871 type B so it could be those especially as they are rated at 5, 15 and 30A.
Yes, they are push button MCBs. I have a picture but it's too fuzzy. The buttons are white (lights), blue (immersion) and red (rings, kitchen etc.)

Reply to Advice on Unsatisfactory EICR report in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock