Discuss Advice on Unsatisfactory EICR report in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Id bet my 50p that zero dead testing was carried out.
Interestingly, I found the previous EICR,
- it has the r1, rn, r2 values on the ring mains.
- and it had 1mm cable for lighting circuits which I don't believe. This may have just been copied into the new EICR.
- the IR tests on the ring mains and lighting was not done due to "unable to remove all load sockets, lighting had electronic dimmers"

There's still a dimmer upstairs, but it's downstairs lighting that has the supposed earth leakage.

If any member of the public post a EICR on here it will be pulled apart by us for the minor things, thats why you have had a big response on here. That report to me is pretty poorly written up, missing information and misleading.

Id ask the estate agent why they recommended him at that price, see if there is a member on here local who will price for the board change and give you a hourly rate of any faults that might be present.

As others have mentioned, the test results, the check list and the observations don't really stack up.

I suspect the person doing the test & inspection doesn't have a proper understanding of what he/she is doing (and shouldn't really be doing this work).

Interestingly, I found the previous EICR,
- it has the r1, rn, r2 values on the ring mains.
- and it had 1mm cable for lighting circuits which I don't believe. This may have just been copied into the new EICR.
- the IR tests on the ring mains and lighting was not done due to "unable to remove all load sockets, lighting had electronic dimmers"

There's still a dimmer upstairs, but it's downstairs lighting that has the supposed earth leakage.

I think if previous r1,rn,r2 readings are available then these tests can be omitted if needed.

I'm sure I heard that on the 2391 course. I could be wrong

Take the money for the rent but unwilling to spend money to keep the people inside safe.
I actually think the questions are reasonable. The op did not mention that they are not having the work done.
I think for someone who is not an electrician I would expect their initial reaction to be to question the report and the cost if it was not made fully clear to them.

To the OP:
My advice would be to get the C2's completed asap by a qualified competent electrician, then ask if it would be possible to rectify some of the minor issues at a small added cost. Lets face it some of us would do the board change (once any faults had been rectified) and probably throw in the labour cost of changing the socket outlet and the ceiling rose.
Fault finding can be very time consuming, especially on socket ring circuits. There is no way to determine how quick they can be found and/or rectified, so quoting on such is very difficult. I usually explain to my customer and agree to charge a minimum call out, then per hour there after. Please also be aware that the fault/s found could be simple cheap fixes to rectify or potentially costly dependent on the problem. Your electrician will advise you accordingly.

The install looks not too bad, however the EICR seems pants

You can get immersion thermostats with a built in secondary cut out for about £10-£15, this means the immersion heater can stay with a compliant thermostat

Looking at it s board and bond with a bit of tlc would make all the difference- I would also suggest mains interlinked smoke detectors (I use thew Aico 3000 range) be installed

Another wooden top masscaraiding as a electrician
EICR - is it safe for continued use Yes or No
It is not a list of upgrades to bring it to the 18th edition
Why does the electrician not describe what he believes to be an issue and a description of the solution on a separate note. These reports are for laymen who are paying for a Skilled Person to advise them on condition.
Indicates no RCD in bathroom, then indicates supplementary bonding C3?
Not worth the paper it is written on ignore the C2’s until reason for the C2 is explained correctly. Bloke does not know what he is doing.
Earth leakage high just stopped laughing
Ceiling rose needs replacing - is it because enclosure is damaged as 651.2?

Reply to Advice on Unsatisfactory EICR report in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net