Discuss Advice on using this board. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

silverlux

Got this board of Christmas LED lights, input is 24V. Want to use this boards features on my 2 circuits of 2x3.95V LED lights. At the moment they are powered with 9V battery.
Anyone has experience or can tell me is there a way to do anything with this board so it can work with my LEDs and 9v battery?
Bellow is car I'm building so want to use my LED's on it with some cool feature like flashing lights, slow on/off etc...Christmas light board had it all, just don't know if I can apply somehow for my idea.
Any help appreciated. :book:

board upper side
Advice on using this board. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
underside
my car

Got this board of Christmas LED lights, input is 24V. Want to use this boards features on my 2 circuits of 2x3.95V LED lights. At the moment they are powered with 9V battery.
Anyone has experience or can tell me is there a way to do anything with this board so it can work with my LEDs and 9v battery?
Bellow is car I'm building so want to use my LED's on it with some cool feature like flashing lights, slow on/off etc...Christmas light board had it all, just don't know if I can apply somehow for my idea.
Any help appreciated. :book:

board upper side
underside
my car

I'm more of a hobbyist in this field than a pro but as no one else has had a go....
The deciding factor will be the operating voltage specification of what is probably a micro-controller on the daughter-board. Its a big ask for a 24v device to work at only 9 volts, but if you have nothing to loose by trying and you don't mind possibly destroying it you could try this: The photos are difficult to see and I would normally do this with test equipment and a magnifier, but if you are prepared to take the risk. There is nothing dangerous to health here other than using a soldering iron.
To give it the best chance you need to replace the top diode (black) and the top right diode (also black) of your first photo with a wire links and remove the other two diodes.
connect the battery +ve to 'A' terminal and the battery -ve to the 'C' terminal next to the 'A'. This will bypass the bridge rectifier. You don't need it because the battery is DC and the board needs an AC supply and the bridge will only serve to reduce the 9 volts further.
I assume you know how to connect your LEDs. It looks like the remaining 'C' terminal is common +ve and will go to the anodes or red wire of the LEDs. Terminals 2 and 4 go to the cathode or black wire of each of your 2 LED circuits. It looks like there may be some sort of push switch needed, but you will need to look at the case the board came from to determine this.
To be honest, there are a lot of issues going against this working so hope for the best but expect the worst. The chances of success will be better if you use 2 batteries wired in series (connect the +ve of one with the -ve of the other and use the remaining terminals to power the board. You will also need to change the current limit resistors in your LEDs. There's info on the net how to calculate the correct value if you know the specs, or you could try (risk) 1.5K 0.5W in series with each LED. If the LED is too dim, piggy-back another 1.5K resistor over the first (parallel wired) you can buy 50 resistors for less than ÂŁ2. Be careful, quick and precise with the soldering iron. LEDs can't take too much heat.
I suggest that you will probably have more luck and find it a whole lot easier if you made you own LED flasher unit. It's the textbook 1st project for a novice. There are tons of examples and how-tos on the likes of youtube and you could easily build exactly what you want for less than the price of a pint of beer in less than an hour or two. You clearly have the construction skills!

Personally, I wouldn't try to use that board, but well done BlueToBits figuring out how to modify it without seeing a circuit diagram - respect!

This would be my board of choice for such an application:
Arduino - ArduinoBoardNano

5v output drive (close to what your LEDs require), 7-12v supply (battery operation), might well fit inside your car and ridiculously cheap if you buy them off Ebay from Hong Kong. Or simply get a standard Arduino. Loads of support on the net in either case.

There is a bit of a learning curve to understand Arduino programming but you will not regret it as you can do pretty much anything with them.

By the way: Nice car!

thanks BlueToBits and siimon for options outlined...not yet sure what will do with that board, surely will try to hack it some evening. Will definitely check out that Arduino thing and see what can be done with it. Respect to you all guys and I hope this thread will help any other DIY person in future ;)

[URL="http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=467&u=17823209" said:
[/URL]

What a cracking little Delorean!! :) Love that

Reply to Advice on using this board. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock