Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Advice on wires and switches in the Lighting Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Emma Knowlton

Emma Knowlton EF Member

Hi I've moved into a house recently the past owner is no longer alive to assist with my query. I have attached pics of a box of wires in one bedroom which is attached to the pic of switches and two grey boxes which also have switches on. On the white switches there is text which says..'isolator'and 'auto always on'. There are 4 security lights outside, 2 front 2 back. I cannot see how to work them. Are these wires and switches related to the security lights do you think? There is np sign of am alarm in the house. Thanks

20181015_174217.jpg

20181015_174220.jpg

20181015_174228.jpg

20181015_174240.jpg

2. Marvo

Marvo Admin and gender confused Staff Member Admin

Given they're mounted at floor level I'd guess maybe some kinda old-age persons emergency alert system in case they fall over or have a medical incident.

3. Emma Knowlton

Emma Knowlton EF Member

Ah ok. Was Hoping they were for the lights as cannot find a switch anywhere that works the lights, they look powerful too so would be great for security if I could work them! Thanks for your comment.

4. Marvo

It is possible they could be operating lights, there's no way of knowing for sure from pictures though.

The system looks home-made to me but hang around because maybe one of the UK guys has come across something similar before.

Just out of interest have you tried switching everything one to see what happens?

5. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

Nice carpet

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

The OP did message me about this however I’m at a loss. I did have a guess at some sort of alarm and pump system possibly for a cesspit or similar but it’s not that.

7. Emma Knowlton

Emma Knowlton EF Member

We don't actually move in properly until next Monday so am not there at night to see if the lights come on. I've turned the switches on in the day but nothing happens. I haven't touched the ones that say isolator though.

8. Emma Knowlton

Emma Knowlton EF Member

Why thank you!

9. TJ Anderson

TJ Anderson Forum Mentor

Can see "Detector" and "Bell" labelled on the pcb's and also 12vdc relays. Must be some part of an old intruder system which is now redundant??

10. Marvo

Be bold, turn the isolators on then fiddle with the other switches.

TBH, even if the system operates the floodlights it's ugly, overcomplicated and probably completely unnecessary for your needs so I'd remove it all and just re-run the floodlight circuit with a day/night sensor or normal switch arrangement.

• Like Like x 1
  11. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

matched the curtains ,;)

12. Emma Knowlton

Emma Knowlton EF Member

Good plan thanks for the advice. Yes I agree not something well keep in the long term.

13. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

what a shame and you get rid of the carpets & curtains has well .:D

14. snowhead

snowhead Forum Mentor

I would say, Yes it's for the lights.
    1 each of the control boxes , will switch 2 lights, probably 1 for the front, 1 for the rear.

There will also be a sensor outside at the front and at the back that triggers the controls to switch on the lights and alarm, which I would guess would only be the buzzers withing the 2 grey boxes.
    The switches on the grey boxes will probably turn the buzzers off.
    The lights will stay on for a time pretermined in the control box.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Emma Knowlton

Emma Knowlton EF Member