Discuss Advice on wires and switches in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I've moved into a house recently the past owner is no longer alive to assist with my query. I have attached pics of a box of wires in one bedroom which is attached to the pic of switches and two grey boxes which also have switches on. On the white switches there is text which says..'isolator'and 'auto always on'. There are 4 security lights outside, 2 front 2 back. I cannot see how to work them. Are these wires and switches related to the security lights do you think? There is np sign of am alarm in the house. Thanks

Advice on wires and switches 20181015_174217 - EletriciansForums.net

Advice on wires and switches 20181015_174220 - EletriciansForums.net

Advice on wires and switches 20181015_174228 - EletriciansForums.net

Advice on wires and switches 20181015_174240 - EletriciansForums.net

Given they're mounted at floor level I'd guess maybe some kinda old-age persons emergency alert system in case they fall over or have a medical incident.

Ah ok. Was Hoping they were for the lights as cannot find a switch anywhere that works the lights, they look powerful too so would be great for security if I could work them! Thanks for your comment.

It is possible they could be operating lights, there's no way of knowing for sure from pictures though.

The system looks home-made to me but hang around because maybe one of the UK guys has come across something similar before.

Just out of interest have you tried switching everything one to see what happens?

The OP did message me about this however I’m at a loss. I did have a guess at some sort of alarm and pump system possibly for a cesspit or similar but it’s not that.

It is possible they could be operating lights, there's no way of knowing for sure from pictures though.

The system looks home-made to me but hang around because maybe one of the UK guys has come across something similar before.

Just out of interest have you tried switching everything one to see what happens?
We don't actually move in properly until next Monday so am not there at night to see if the lights come on. I've turned the switches on in the day but nothing happens. I haven't touched the ones that say isolator though.

Can see "Detector" and "Bell" labelled on the pcb's and also 12vdc relays. Must be some part of an old intruder system which is now redundant??

....I haven't touched the ones that say isolator though.
Be bold, turn the isolators on then fiddle with the other switches.:D

TBH, even if the system operates the floodlights it's ugly, overcomplicated and probably completely unnecessary for your needs so I'd remove it all and just re-run the floodlight circuit with a day/night sensor or normal switch arrangement.

Be bold, turn the isolators on then fiddle with the other switches.:D

TBH, even if the system operates the floodlights it's ugly, overcomplicated and probably completely unnecessary for your needs so I'd remove it all and just re-run the floodlight circuit with a day/night sensor or normal switch arrangement.
Good plan thanks for the advice. Yes I agree not something well keep in the long term.

I would say, Yes it's for the lights.
1 each of the control boxes , will switch 2 lights, probably 1 for the front, 1 for the rear.

There will also be a sensor outside at the front and at the back that triggers the controls to switch on the lights and alarm, which I would guess would only be the buzzers withing the 2 grey boxes.
The switches on the grey boxes will probably turn the buzzers off.
The lights will stay on for a time pretermined in the control box.

I would say, Yes it's for the lights.
1 each of the control boxes , will switch 2 lights, probably 1 for the front, 1 for the rear.

There will also be a sensor outside at the front and at the back that triggers the controls to switch on the lights and alarm, which I would guess would only be the buzzers withing the 2 grey boxes.
The switches on the grey boxes will probably turn the buzzers off.
The lights will stay on for a time pretermined in the control box.
There are sensors outside for the lights. Do you think they may only work when it gets dark then as haven't tested that as im not there at night yet. Nothing seems to happen when I switch the 'auto always on 'switches or the grey switches. I'll have to go over one evening and have a look again. Thanks

I don't think they're for lighting, seems way to complicated for that.

Any ponds, wells or water features in the garden?

There are 4 security lights outside, 2 front 2 back. I cannot see how to work them. Are these wires and switches related to the security lights do you think?

2 Isolators (S/FCU's as taken off ring circuit), 1x front lights, 1x back lights
Auto switch (for PIR operation [probably just during hours of darkness]) .
Manual (On all the time) for as it says on the plate, for switching lights on whenever needed.
The 2 grey boxes, (piezo buzzers) for audible signal if detection of movement outside (could be 24/7 or just in darkness). Switches on grey boxes presumably to isolate buzzer).
Switch on both isolators and put switches in 'always on' position. You should see a light illuminate unless all lamps have failed!

Reply to Advice on wires and switches in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock