Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Advice on working for myself in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

Hi guys I have been thinking about going out on my own for a while now and I feel like I've had enough of working for the all important boss man, i was just wondering if any of you had any advice or help on going out in my own. All comments great appreciated thanks.

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    factor in about £100/week for overheads.. van,insurances, etc. then work out what you need as a weekly income, bearing in mind that on average you will have 40 weeks earning per year. divide the weekly income + £100 by 40 to come up with a hourly rate. that will be the minimum hourly charge to the customer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Andy78

Andy78 Forum Mentor

Start off with as little expenditure as possible and a good dose of capital to help you along.

Get free listings on the web asap especially ones that you can collect reviews on, and encourage reviews from all customers. I get a large proportion of work from my web reviews when people do searches.

Treat the early slack days as a day at work. If you have no work, spend it trying to generate work through whatever means.

Set out your rates and stick to them, you'll soon get to be a dogsbody for skinflints if you try to be the lowest price.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Matthewd29

Thanks guys I will take all that on board

5. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    to be competitive, your hourly rate should be £20 - £30. usual to charge £40 - £45 for 1st hour to cover travel.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Take a look at the business section on the forum. There have been loads of threads like this.

As for overheads factor in £25 per day , assuming you have a vehicle you own ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matthewd29

Thanks again I'll take a look there. Already have my own van and hand/power tools as they were required for my previous job

8. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

Keep all receipts and keep track of expenditure and anything you can claim for, you will need insurance so factor that in.

9. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Therapy? Nah, motorcycles!

Here's one for you that I've found to be really useful:
    I keep a daily record of journeys - date, mileage, destination, time out, time in..
    Perhaps a tad over the top but invaluable if you can't remember where you've been on a particular date...

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

Are you planning to focus on domestic and small commercial?

For Belfast area being an NIC EIC Approved Contractor may be of benefit. I've a couple of mates who are sole traders in Belfast area and they get a lot more work now because of it.

11. happyhippydad

happyhippydad Member Electrician's Arms

Best advice I can give is DO IT! :)
    Dont be scared by the thought of having to fend for yourself, or rather do be a bit scared but do it anyway.
    I gave up my job 8 months ago and it feels bloody great being my own boss.
    Give it a go, if it doesnt work out then you go back back to a paid position!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Therapy? Nah, motorcycles!

Get yourself a good accountant too....will save you money long term!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Matthewd29

Thanks everyone for the comments! I have to admit it feels like a big step but I think it's best that a I give it a go rather than put it off

• Agree Agree x 1