Discuss Advice please looking for a pretty version of this light, recessed triple downlight in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tilly123

Hi - I wonder if anyone maybe able to help. In my lounge at the moment I have 2 ceiling roses. Each has a chandelier type light on it. I want to change these and bring the room up to date and do the same in my hallway and top landing.

I keep seeing in magazines recessed triple lights that are frames and recessed so look really minimalist. I've found rimless plaster recessed lights online from asco lights but want to find as close as look as possible without having to re-plaster as well as I think with their paster recessed ones you have to.

Has anyone fitted lights like I'm probably describing badly! If so would you mind pointing me in a direction where I might find a good selection. The screwfix link is just to show the kind of thing, but they are not terribly pretty or discreet looking to me.

I'm in the Banbury Oxfordshire area

Many thanks for any help!

edit - It wont let me post a link, the light at screwfix is
Halolite Recessed Satin Silver 3-Light Spotlight

Product Code: 42025

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Advice please looking for a pretty version of this light, recessed triple downlig

Not an answer to your question, but think hard before you do this. Spotlights are great for highlighting specific items, but are rubbish at general room illumination. You might end up with a higher electricity bill for less good lighting.

If you really want to do this, see if a local electrician will bring in a spotlight on a flex so that you can see the effect. If you say where you are, someone on here might be able to help.

Last edited:
Re: Advice please looking for a pretty version of this light, recessed triple downlig

Really just to echo what HandySparks said, rather than simply being 'modern', recessed spotlights offer a very different effect to a more general light such as a chandelier, particularly if you have low ceilings you might find you end up with 3 bright pools of light on the floor which give the 'beam me up' effect as you walk around, consuming up to 50W each (that's 150W per triple fitting rather than maybe 60W for a fitting which will light the whole room). Downlighters can give a good effect if the beam angle is wide enough, they are positioned 'correctly', you have a high enough ceiling, and you have another light source such as wall lights, otherwise they are often an expensive waste of time.

I would love to know where this downlight craze/fad came from.

I worked on a house when I first started that had 1.2KW of lighting in a dressing room.

I would love to know where this downlight craze/fad came from.

I worked on a house when I first started that had 1.2KW of lighting in a dressing room.

Ha! many thanks for the replys, I just like the clean look of them. The ceiling lights are never actually used in my lounge, can't stand them being on! I have floor lamps that I use, this really is all about just a look for me. I'm fed up of looking at chandler things.

Gosh that sounds like I am terribly vain!

Many thanks chronyx - thats a good selection for me to be looking at.

Reply to Advice please looking for a pretty version of this light, recessed triple downlight in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net