Discuss Advice please, moving to the UK. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Donkeydaz

Hey guys.

I am am a self employed electrician from the island of Guernsey, small island in between England and France. I have been going for my self since October last year and charge £24 an hour. The normal going rate over here for an electrician is anything between £25-£40 an hour and working for someone the average wage an hour is about £16 an hour.

In the next month or so I am looking at moving over to the uk to an area south east of England, West Sussex.
I am just curious what is the average going rate for a self employed sparky and what is the average rate working for someone. I haven't looked into anything yet, it's been a kind of last minute decision to move.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, I will be looking at working for someone when I get there and look into going self employed again.

I am recently qualified 2 years ago and hold all recent qualifications.

Many thanks.

the rates are fairly similar to your island of cows, but jobs are so hard to get over here when eastern europeans are working for £5/hour. i'd seriously have a rethink.

and we do know where guernsey is. we let hitler have it but then he gave it back.

My partner is from the UK and has been on the rock for 9 years and she knew someone would say that! Lol.

Why, is it that bad?

it's worse than bad, mate. we have domestic installers churned out every 5 weeks by the bucketload. all thanks to part p. and the scams.

If you do come to the mainland be prepared to fight over work with foreign nationals and Electrical Trainee who charge peanuts, I can only echo trevs post 2, He posted exactly what I would have done, the crafty so and so, beat me too it lol

th UK is a sinking ship. at least on guernsey, you're in a lifeboat.

I will be moving over there in the next 6-8 weeks so will need to get an income ASAP. I have some savings to keep me going for about 6 months. I do all domestic and commercial electrical installations.

Reply to Advice please, moving to the UK. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net