Discuss Advice please in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

sam90

-
Reaction score
Hi all I'm currently a class 1 HGV driver doing my level 2 and 3 and 18th edition when it's released I'm doing the qualifications on the weekend sat and Sunday anyway I've got a job interview to become an electricians mate in a couple of weeks the blokes a domestic and commercial installer and I want to be armed with as much knowledge as possible as I know getting the job will give me so much experience I've been honest about my experience level but still want to impress so if you lovely lot could arm me with as much useful info as possible I don't want to sound like I only know what I've done at college and that I've done some research things I'm thinking are

Usual MMsq T+E cable used for lighting circuits and ring circuit ?

Usual MCB and RCD used for hobs lights and ring circuit ?

Any wiring techniques used in new builds such as strippers for 2 way lighting circuits ect..

Anything that you guys think will be beneficial for me to know or go and research before the interview..

Thank you all ..

Last edited:
Best thing you can do is have a read of some of the domestic thread on here.. There is loads of info.

Or, you know, with a potential career change around the corner I'm sure you could stretch to investing a few quid and a couple hours in a book or two? Wiring and lighting by Chris Kitcher and Part P Doctor by Alan Lynch will help to set things in your mind a little.

Or, you know, with a potential career change around the corner I'm sure you could stretch to investing a few quid and a couple hours in a book or two? Wiring and lighting by Chris Kitcher and Part P Doctor by Alan Lynch will help to set things in your mind a little.

Will definitely look at these thank you

Ordered wiring and lighting book by Chris going to have a look the the part p book now thank you

Don’t try to pretend that you know more than you do.
As you progress through your new career you’ll soon realise that mcb and cable size are calculated to suit the job rather than following a fixed size.

I understand that I have no intention of "blagging" it but at the same time I would like to learn as much practical knowledge as possible before the interview if that makes sense

You won't learn any practical knowledge Sam just by asking questions, it comes from experience an knowledge, you may blag the interview and get taken on as an Electricians Mate, but what will happen when you get told to do something you have very little knowledge of, other than asking a few questions on a Forum. There is more to deciding which cable or OCPD to use, it takes time, training and hands on to learn even the basics of electrical installation work, not something you can just pick up, as you muddle along, sorry for my blunt reply, but it irks me now end when Guys think its easy, do some courses and then come back and see how you feel about it then, in the mean time good luck with whatever you choose to do.

You won't learn any practical knowledge Sam just by asking questions, it comes from experience an knowledge, you may blag the interview and get taken on as an Electricians Mate, but what will happen when you get told to do something you have very little knowledge of, other than asking a few questions on a Forum. There is more to deciding which cable or OCPD to use, it takes time, training and hands on to learn even the basics of electrical installation work, not something you can just pick up, as you muddle along, sorry for my blunt reply, but it irks me now end when Guys think its easy, do some courses and then come back and see how you feel about it then, in the mean time good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Clearly you haven't read what I've wrote

Let me clarify a few things everyone saying to be honest about my experience ect if you read my first post I have said I've been completely honest with him about where I am at what I have done and how long I've been at college (Not long) I have no intention of blagging my way in its stupid and like loads of you have said won't work as soon as I'm asked to do something it would all go to ---- I'm not stupid i know this all I'm trying to show is that I'm keen to learn and will go about in my own time after work and try and learn as much as possible and things that will be relevant in the line of work he does ... that's all I'm trying to do

Then get your nose stuck into those books and absorb.
To be fair you did say in your OP "I don't want to sound like I only know what I've done at college" which can be misinterpreted.
But as you have now clarified and put us all straight all you need to do is read, show that you are doing 'self study' and let the interviewer know that you are keen to learn. Do not however go running off at the mouth about regulations and calculations etc. It's much better to show that you are prepared to learn and do things your employers way. Good luck to you.

Clearly you haven't read what I've wrote
Don't be too cocky with Pete, though. He's forgotten more than you'll ever learn.......and it's 'written'.
It's obvious you're serious about it, but judging from your original questions, you'll be starting from scratch. Look, listen and learn....whilst you're attempting to gain experience.

Reply to Advice please in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net