Discuss Advice regarding new installation needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

My concern for you is around the leverage you think you may have. With £2000 being owed to you and the need to sell, the Owner and Builder may come up with a cunning way to complete the works and certify without you. I'd get legal advice.

Good thinking Wilko. The good news on that is that the builder is on my side. He is the only one who paid me what I was owed, as far as we are concerned. They owe him some money too and they effectively kicked him out of future projects, blaming him for everything wrong under the sun, including their wives cheating on them. Not a happy builder there either, after one disgruntled electrician. He is trying to recuperate a few grand they owe him and we have agreed on a common plan of getting the money back, even if it means going through the courts. Maybe that's why I am still being optimistic ;-). Still have a few aces up my sleeve, even if that fails(spoiler: I have intimate knowledge of the house and the built it underwent during the last months, with pictures to back me up as evidence). Let's just say that the new owners will be more than interested to see what they have purchased, that lies beneath the skin ;-). A court action of that kind against the seller might take years and cost many pounds in damages. Will they still be up for a fight if that came to light? I didn't think so. Only reason I am unwilling to(but not beyond able to) use that trump yet is because the builder himself will be affected, due to him having overseen the project. Let's just hope things don't escalate to that degree. I stand to lose 2k? They stand to lose ?????K. Then damages :). It's always a good idea to take pictures of the various stages of work, when in a job, even though they have nothing to do with your trade. I like sightseeing.

You’re an NICEIC member?
Do you have a contract for the work?

Time for the NICEIC legal people to earn the money you pay for your CPS money!
You will have to explain that to me as far as I know the NICEIC will not get involved in financial disputes they may (or associate company)
give free basic legal advice if that's what you are referring to.

I will give this op some advice and to all the spark's now I had a customer who would not play ball .so this what I did
not paying .register the work to your address .and see what they say then . and see what their solicitor says .on the test sheet not signed and unpaid

Last edited:
He can't complete a sale of the house if he doesn't own part of it. A key question is whether or not your bill includes materials?

If it does, if you ensured his solicitor knows about the outstanding debt and/or any dispute surrounding it, that would need to be resolved prior the sale. Unless the buyers accept the fact that post sale you could take action to pull the materials in question. Why would any buyer want that..

It wouldn't take very much to uncover the solicitor he is using if he already has offers on the table..

Latest on this: after talks and negotiations, £1500 will be paid. The builder chipped in £700, while the investor came up with the rest. I decided to accept it, as a compromise, in the end. I could have stuck with the £2000 and probably I would have gotten it eventually. But it would have taken longer and who needs the stress and bother anyway? It's not a bad result after all, I think.

Reply to Advice regarding new installation needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock