Discuss Advice sought on spurs off spurs in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for the info... I always thought it more convenient to have the lighting circuits split for maintenance etc or if there is a problem with one circuit ... the other still works. Every property I have owned has had split lighting circuits. I would prefer them to be on separate MCB & on separate RCD's . So can I simply say to the spark he is in breach of the regs and to a) put both onto one MCB or preferably b) rewire the landing light circuit . I presume then that that the whole lot will then need retesting & a new certificate issuing?

Is it practical or even doable for the landing light set up to be rewired completely to have up & down on separate RCD's ? The house is currently a building site with floor boards exposed in every room ( bar the master & ensuite & living room) & the ground floor rear open plan kitchen/diner ceilings are down, all walls stripped and there is good loft access ( good height too) so access to the wiring is definitely not an issue. Plastering contractor due in a couple of weeks so any chasing of walls is fine at the moment.

Maybe before I say anything to him, should I just get a test and inspection electrician in and officially check the work, & then submit the findings to my guy & then ask/demand he puts it right or refunds me so I can pay someone else to do it properly?

Many thanks all for your comments - and for picking up on the lighting wiring, this forum is a really helpful resource.

reading between the lines, your sparks has done a quick fix that has resolved your tripping problem.he will have charged accordingly. my advice would be to ask him to come back and rewire the landing light so that the lights can be split between the RCDs. obviously, this is a bigger job and you should agree a mutually acceptable cost from him. it's not a horrendous amount given that you say access and chasing is not a problem. that way, everyone is happy.

Will do , good idea, & you are right - he did a quick fix to get things working. I don't mind paying fairly for his time to rewire the circuit. thanks!

yeah. better sorted now while house is a bomb site.

What is an rcbo board & why?

A rcbo board is fitted with rcbos - each one has the charastics of a mcb and rcd

If one trips, nothing else, unless under exceptional circumstances should trip....

Unlike a dual rcd board when a rcd trips, you loose 1/2 your circuits

Electrician came back as promised. I had in the meantime traced the neutral from the landing light fitting to a source in a bedroom light pendant and also proved that the live was linked from the dual switch at the bottom of the stairs ( hall / landing) . Electrical removed the existing neutral, took a new neutral from a downstairs light junction up into the loft and to the landing light. Then moved the circuit breaker to the other rcd & bingo all working properly. Thanks again all for highlighting this issue.

The proposed solution to the spur off spur issue was to add the garage socket & ch to the new 16A radial put in for the garage doors, & use justone of the other two sockets in the utility room ie remove the spurred spur.

Reply to Advice sought on spurs off spurs in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net