Discuss Advice wanted on retraining as an Electrican about courses and tools needed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mad Mo

-
Reaction score
Hi I’m looking at city and guilds 2365 parts 2 and 3 through trade skills for you. It’s over 16 weeks and wondered if this is any good? I’m 49 and having to retrain as getting made redundant in December so planning options in advance. I’m trying to build up most of the tools I’d need as working in a builders merchant at the minute so can save a considerable amount of money on the tools. Wondering about makes of tools ie Knipex or CK pliers/ screwdrivers etc. Also what power tools to get ie core cutters, drill drivers/ sds drills etc? Will I need a conduit bender, yellow fibre glsss steps ?and which are more usefull, any other recommendations on tools needed would be very helpful. Any other courses that I need or should go on? Any help greatly appreciated please

I recently completed my Domestic installers course with Trade Skills which certs you for anything Domestic, including signing off your own work with building control, I'm also registered wit NICICE, I recognise that I'm not an approved contractor and the guys that completed an apprenticeship have their own opinion, however at 52 years old I'm cert'ed to do anything domestically and I'm much happier than the past 37 years in a 6 x 8 office, Go for it, don't assume its easy though !!

I recently completed my Domestic installers course with Trade Skills which certs you for anything Domestic, including signing off your own work with building control, I'm also registered wit NICICE, I recognise that I'm not an approved contractor and the guys that completed an apprenticeship have their own opinion, however at 52 years old I'm cert'ed to do anything domestically and I'm much happier than the past 37 years in a 6 x 8 office, Go for it, don't assume its easy though !!
Hi would you say the tracing and course were good? I’ve visited the open day at Leeds and was impressed by the new centre.

Hi would you say the teaching and course were good? I’ve visited the open day at Leeds and was impressed by the new centre.Was the course very intense and what sort of split was the theory to practical part and are there any price additions that are hidden from the course fees?

people will have there own views on the short courses and the condensed 2365 courses. I know somebody who did the 2365 courses with TS4U as part of his discharge training when leaving the royal marines. the 16 weeks is something like 2 at home studying 2 at the training centre so really 32 weeks or there abouts.
if you do them at a normal college a lot of the course is waffle and too much focus on health and safety in year 1. If you do it 'properly' the 2 courses add up to around 50 weeks in total as you factor in the holidays and it usually being a couple days per week. so its not a huge difference in time. Ultimately though its one of those things you will only get out what you put in, if you study and go in open minded you will learn something. Just remember that no matter how many courses you do you will never stop learning in this trade!
Personally I feel the 2365 course will be better for you than the 20 days or whatever it is domestic package.

people will have there own views on the short courses and the condensed 2365 courses. I know somebody who did the 2365 courses with TS4U as part of his discharge training when leaving the royal marines. the 16 weeks is something like 2 at home studying 2 at the training centre so really 32 weeks or there abouts.
if you do them at a normal college a lot of the course is waffle and too much focus on health and safety in year 1. If you do it 'properly' the 2 courses add up to around 50 weeks in total as you factor in the holidays and it usually being a couple days per week. so its not a huge difference in time. Ultimately though its one of those things you will only get out what you put in, if you study and go in open minded you will learn something. Just remember that no matter how many courses you do you will never stop learning in this trade!
Personally I feel the 2365 course will be better for you than the 20 days or whatever it is domestic package.

Hi I’m looking at city and guilds 2365 parts 2 and 3 through trade skills for you. It’s over 16 weeks and wondered if this is any good? I’m 49 and having to retrain as getting made redundant in December so planning options in advance. I’m trying to build up most of the tools I’d need as working in a builders merchant at the minute so can save a considerable amount of money on the tools. Wondering about makes of tools ie Knipex or CK pliers/ screwdrivers etc. Also what power tools to get ie core cutters, drill drivers/ sds drills etc? Will I need a conduit bender, yellow fibre glsss steps ?and which are more usefull, any other recommendations on tools needed would be very helpful. Any other courses that I need or should go on? Any help greatly appreciated please

I would do AT least your 2365 L2 at community college evenings for a year and get some paid work experience during. It provides a good grounding in electrical installation...Save that coin from your redundancy and really avoid the expensive hothouses..,your head will be spinning in 16 weeks and you will have forgotten most of what was crammed in as short term memory is no substitute experience and proper tuition, and you will be heavily down in pocket, and still no use to anyone on site. The level 3 2365 is basically a very expensive advertisement on all the expensive courses you will have to take at a later date e.g inspect and test, design if you can be arsed etc. By all means 8 week that course as you'll be taking it all again.

There are No short cuts to anywhere worth going.

The course is intense and as said you get out what you put in, I was at Warrington so it was hotels for me, it blows your mind to start with but i enjoyed it. The hard work started when you pass, NICEIC set there own exams if you want to join and the first assessment is tough if you haven't picked up your testing during training, what lm trying to say is passing doesn't make you a domestic electrician, that comes in the real world, I'm learning every day.

It all depends I guess what route you finally want to take as well. If you want your NVQ and work on large building sites & do commercial work etc then a Domestic installer course is not the right route.

The level 2 and level 3 2365 is aimed at the leaner going in to the commercial sector, hence why you will only use T&E cable on your first practical day then it will be single core cable from then on.

Its totally down to you what you go for but best of luck whatever you decide.

I dont want to sound too harsh but at 49 i wouldnt bother, your body is already half knackered and as an electrician its going to take a beating in the later years. Plus as you start out you do all the donkey which can be very tiring and body abusive.

difference is though in between those 50 weeks of college over 3 years, were on site putting the practical with the theory

To be fair,a 6M X 8M office,is a sizeable work environment :)

If you do do it, make sure you have about £6K for your first year overheads, and you will be lucky to make much of a profit.

What hands on experience do you have of construction? plumbing? building? kitchens? bathrooms?

difference is though in between those 50 weeks of college over 3 years, were on site putting the practical with the theory
Given the Op's age I reckon he would struggle to get on site experience, especially when they can pay a teenager a lot less than an adult would expect for the experience towards an NVQ or apprenticeship.

I accept the comments in relation to the OP's age,are given with respect and experience,but as we do not know him,it may not make a difference.
I am 53,and can out-lift,out-run and out-think,most put in front of me...whatever their age :)

What is more important,is his health,ambition,and previous similar experience.

Reply to Advice wanted on retraining as an Electrican about courses and tools needed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net