Discuss Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You got a disagree because testing would have not likely shown this up, proper inspection might have.
Yeah I said it’s Debatable, and yes I should have said “Inspection and Testing” . At the end of the day they’ve obviously not did the tug test when 2nd fixing and the result is the line cable came out when the socket was disturbed.
I’ve tested numerous ring circuits and most are usually ok, but there have been a few with “open” continuity on either line, neutral or earth or even all! Some with significant difference between line and neutral or earth eg N = 0.65ohms but live would be say 200ohms! Obviously not open, but a slight touching contact at some point in the circuit.

But we don’t know that!
TBH I’d be very surprised if ANY T&I was done to this job, and if it was they’d probably used a bingo machine to come up with the numbers!o_O
This thread should have been started 1/2hr before the spark was due to pop around to see the OP Sarah!
We’ve done what we normally do and fuelled the situation! Will we ever learn ?

But we don’t know that!

This thread should have been started 1/2hr before the spark was due to pop around to see the OP Sarah!
We’ve done what we normally do and fuelled the situation! Will we ever learn ?
Just as well we’re not Judges in court of law.....we’d have them hanged before they took they took the oath!:eek:

I just quickly glanced at the thread title, as I was reading your replies.

Could of sworn it said ' Advice wanted- unhappy with wife'.

OP got bored after page 5. Who can blame her.
Agreed, there are more posts than ‘I say You say’!

Because they should actually give a damn about people doing work in their house that could, if not done correctly kill someone.

People do give a damn. My reply "Why would the general public be asking for insurance, competence & quals.... They expect that the electrician will have all the relevant stuff to do the job, otherwise they would not be doing it.
Yes, this is not always the case in real life, but it's what they would expect." is still true.

Wow! I'm amazed at the amount of responses - I only just realised another 4 pages of them are on here. Thank you! I've read them all through and here are answers to the questions in there.

The quote was for just under £3000. We had a second quote for £2600. We went for the higher because they had much 100% positive feedback on the site we hired them from and feedback on previous rewires that they'd done. I met both the guys and they seemed genuine and I trusted them. They also had a long list of qualifications that they had. One strange thing I have since noticed was that the name on the site isn't the name of the guys who did the installation, but the mobile number is theirs. Not sure that's a problem, but I did list it as one of the issues on my email to him. They're part of the NICEIC and their company is registered on their.

We haven't been living at the property, so they definitely could have left it after first fix. We are due to move in on Wednesday though, and not feeling confident about the safety. We're hoping they will be bringing some paperwork with them this evening to at least prove to us proper testing was done. Otherwise i guess we'll have to get another electrician in to test the sockets/ fittings.

think now is the time to liase with the electricians. tell them of your concerns, sort it out between you. some of the posts here have been negative, but only you are there. raise any concerns you have with them, if they are anything like good sparks, they will sort out the issues amicably.

think now is the time to liase with the electricians. tell them of your concerns, sort it out between you. some of the posts here have been negative, but only you are there. raise any concerns you have with them, if they are anything like good sparks, they will sort out the issues amicably.
Thanks - yep this is certainly what we're hoping for.

Reply to Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net