Discuss Advice with Trendi switch 2 way configuration in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all. I was hoping someone may be able to assist with the Trendi switch wiring in a 2 way configuration?

I’m not an electrician, but have had two fully qualified niceic approved Domestic and Commercial electricians unable to wire the switches in a 2 way configuration.

Trendi sell the product as a “direct replacement for normal switches and sockets” however this is clearly not the case.

Normal screwfix switches work fine and they have them working. All single configurations also work fine in Trendi range. It’s a big job now to replace all switches and I can not believe that they would sell a British certified product (even though produced in Asia and assembled in uk) that can work in this configuration.

Has anyone else faced something similar? Apparently they sell thousands of these per week with no issues. The issues I have are with the below:

4 Gang twin 2 way <-> 3 Gang 2 way
2 Gang 2 way <-> 1 Gang 2 way
4 Gang 2 way <-> 1 Gang 3 way intermediate <-> 1 Gang 2 way

All fitted with the guidelines as on Trendi website.

Technical - Trendiswitch - https://www.trendiswitch.com/technical/

I have contacted Trendi an awaiting further information. I would like to apologise if this may be in the incorrect forum. Any help is appreciated and of course will happily hire anyone on here that could fit them and in my area.

Rgds

Harry

TR-wiring-diags-11-e1518621158600-1024x467.jpg

in the left diagram, note that L of the left module goes to the light from where the N goes back to supply N. at first sight it looked like you feed L and N into the switch.

likewise on the other diagram, it shows Lin at top and the 3 lamps below are fed switch L from the switches and then N from light back to supply N

It seems l2 is common in the 1 gang swirch and L if common on the other switches. It’s a bit confusing that two electricians have been in able to work this out, Switches in hand a simple continuity test should prove which terminal is which

I wouldn't take much notice of what this company says looking at how they say to wire a 1 way switch with live and neutral! (I think they should have labelled the blue as switched wire). Most switches I've seen usually have L1 and L2 on same side.
If their diag is correct then it should work, like loplug said test with a continuity tester or just wire a switch just as a 1 way and try the switch wire in L1 first then try it in L2 and see if both work as 1 way switches would prove correct labels - if it doesn't then they are labelled incorrectly.

I like how they've coupled 2 x 2 way switches to make an intermediate.

Mole2006 I agree the intermediate switch conversion design is cleaver, but why on earth make it so complex. Surely hey should just produce an intermediate switch

I have to admit I took one look and though "what is going on".

I did work it out ( I think) eventually, but I would need the actual switches to confirm common.

Thanks for the post Harryiqb. I nearly had to fit some of these a while back, but customer changed there mind. I'm pleased they did. In future I will diswade customers who want them fitted.
Very informative.

I wouldn't take much notice of what this company says looking at how they say to wire a 1 way switch with live and neutral! (I think they should have labelled the blue as switched wire). Most switches I've seen usually have L1 and L2 on same side.
If their diag is correct then it should work, like loplug said test with a continuity tester or just wire a switch just as a 1 way and try the switch wire in L1 first then try it in L2 and see if both work as 1 way switches would prove correct labels - if it doesn't then they are labelled incorrectly.

I like how they've coupled 2 x 2 way switches to make an intermediate.

wire a 1 way switch with live and neutral!

they don't. that's where the diagram is confusing. if you look, the one marked neutral is from supply N to lamp, then from there to switch it's a switch L.

wire a 1 way switch with live and neutral!

they don't. that's where the diagram is confusing. if you look, the one marked neutral is from supply N to lamp, then from there to switch it's a switch L.

It's not the best diagram esp for home owners changing their own switches. I must admit they do look different and you can get a 4 gang on a single plate.

Apologies for jumping onto this thread but I am a home owner and struggling with the same problem.

See the images, the brown is the switch being replaced, I ensured the wires went into the same holes in the new switch but only one light works from the switch.

Blue is the new switch with the wires in situ, any help would be appreciated.
[automerge]1581280578[/automerge]
Apologies for jumping onto this thread but I am a home owner and struggling with the same problem.

See the images, the brown is the switch being replaced, I ensured the wires went into the same holes in the new switch but only one light works from the switch.

Also, looks like it was wired previously by a cowboy, masking tape used, 4 separate cables coming into the switch (see diagram)
[automerge]1581283108[/automerge]

Also, looks like it was wired previously by a cowboy, masking tape used, 4 separate cables coming into the switch (see diagram)
Also, checked closely the wires coming in are as follows

Cable 1 = Red + Earth
Cable 2 = Red + Earth
Cable 3 = Red + Black
Cable 4 = Red + Black

These are currently connected as below

Cable 1
Red connected to L1(1)
Earth connected to earth terminal

Cable 2
Red connected to L1(2)
Earth connected to earth terminal

Cable 3
Not connected, taped up

Cable 4
Red connected to COM
Black not connected, taped up

Attachments

• 20200209_185424.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200209_191256.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200209_203245.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Hi mate,

Does one of the lights stay on when the other is off and vice versa with the switch in the other position. It looks like you've put both switch wires to the same switch.
Move the cable in L12 to L21 and it should work.

Hi mate,

Does one of the lights stay on when the other is off and vice versa with the switch in the other position. It looks like you've put both switch wires to the same switch.
Move the cable in L12 to L21 and it should work.
Thanks for the reply.

Done that and now sort of works.

Both switches are dead until I flick the switch on the other switch in the same room, once I do that the switch in question works as it should
[automerge]1581285201[/automerge]
Thanks for the reply.

Both switches are dead until I flick the switch on the other switch in the same room, once I do that the switch in question works as it should

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

[automerge]1581285201[/automerge]
Added the image for the other switch, it's the switch to the right of the image.

New switch image. Ow attached also
Did you have to switch 'on' the other switch before as the original pic shows both lights wired as one way
Wife just advised that the lights are working like they have since moved in eg like you say, the other switch had to be on before the switch in question works, cant imagine what I need to do to make it work correctly
[automerge]1581286288[/automerge]
Did you have to switch 'on' the other switch before as the original pic shows both lights wired as one way
Wife just advised that the lights are working like they have since moved in eg like you say, the other switch had to be on before the switch in question works, cant imagine what I need to do to make it work correctly

Attachments

• 20200209_214626.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200209_214945.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Reply to Advice with Trendi switch 2 way configuration in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net