• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Advise need for fans in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

leebut

-
Reaction score
hello guys

I’m after some advice please I’ve been asked to carry out some work in a children’s nursery, the scenario is as follows:-

The nursery has a kitchen which is located in a cellar (which has no window) of a large detached property, they are having a revamp of the kitchen over Christmas period, the problem I’m faced with is they’ve asked for a 6” extractor fan to extract steam etc so will be ok to catch some grease but not loads and the other part which I can’t find anything on is they want a fan to draw fresh air in from outside to recirculate and cool the kitchen, has anyone had experience of this and what did you use??

Regards

Lee

Approved document F might be a good place to start.

There are references to various standards and other documents, including some information from the HSE in the document, some of which appear to be relevant.

I was looking for someone’s practical advise on the fan to draw in fresh air to recycle, I’ve been onto my electrical wholesaler who’s been onto their manufacturer but no real help

I was looking for someone’s practical advise on the fan to draw in fresh air to recycle, I’ve been onto my electrical wholesaler who’s been onto their manufacturer but no real help
Not having seen the install area, I would think that both fans will need to be controlled by some sort of humidity control

What they are asking for is supply and extract fans.

Sounds like what @westward10 is saying.

They want what is called make up air.

Wouldn't you need to get this pretty spot on in terms of flows and pressure to avoid creating issues down the line, like pushing hot moist air outside the kitchen which could cause problems later.

If it's gas cooking equipment, do you have to take special account of it?

I've just been trying to read Approved Document F and I have to say, it's not the easiest.

Yes @SparkyChick

If supply and extract fans are used then they need balancing correctly so they don't create air pressure problems eg positive air pressure pushing kitchen doors open etc.

Numerous ways to do it depending on what level of kit is installed.

Yplan

On a side note and don't want to divert the thread but what's in the electricians arms section?

Yplan

Trade only chat :) Pricing discussions, topics not suitable for public consumption. That sort of thing.

If you're in the trade and you have 100+ messages you can apply for membership.

The best course of action in my opinion would be to a mvhr / heat recovery system throughout the whole property.

You can by single unit/room heat recovery units but not sure how reliably they are, as you cant reliable set these up or mesaure your flow rates.

This is a example..
Vent-Axia Lo-Carbon Tempra P Single Room Heat Recovery Unit - https://www.fastlec.co.uk/443312-vent-axia-lo-carbon-tempra-p-single-room-heat-recovery-unit.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwyOreBRAYEiwAR2mSkqM7NZxgP00gsQKYeGcgHu8lziX4c1jNRmcH_lD3XnLGdc-zW7vMjBoCwlQQAvD_BwE

The flow rate on this is right on the limit for a kitchen, but these are worked out on the size of the property

Yes @SparkyChick

If supply and extract fans are used then they need balancing correctly so they don't create air pressure problems eg positive air pressure pushing kitchen doors open etc.

Numerous ways to do it depending on what level of kit is installed.

Yplan

The kitchen has a fire door with a spring closer so there’s little chance the door could be blown open with the fan

You need to carefully consider where the ductwork is going to be routed. In the event of a fire there could be transfer through the ductwork and hence fire dampers may be required.

You need to carefully consider where the ductwork is going to be routed. In the event of a fire there could be transfer through the ductwork and hence fire dampers may be required.
Agree these things have to be designed right to be effective and prevention of the spread of fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Advise need for fans in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back