Discuss Advise needed for Nest Themostat in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

AlexS

-
Reaction score
Hello

I'm running an Vaillant Ecotech Plus combi boiler and want to install a Nest 3 Themostat.

A few pictures probably tells a thousand words.

IMG 20171229 162042 - https://ibb.co/jmKdzw

IMG 20171229 160302 - https://ibb.co/fUnnsG

I went on Nest websites and I'm none the wiser. Can anybody tell me how I would wire this is it is possible? Specifically what would be wired to what?

Btw I am aware of health and safety and will probably get a professional to install (so please no need to comment on this, I am competent in basic electrics), however I am still asking this question before I make any purchases.

Really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Last edited:
This would be very straight forward for an electrician, should take an hour or so and that's including setting up the nest

So I'm looking into it in further detail.

Seems requirements for Nest cables are:.

Live 240V.
Neutral 240V.
Port 3 Heatlink boiler. Heating relay.

So looking at the image I supplied I guess it's fairly obvious what to do?

Contacted Nest seems like a Vailant Ecotech plus 831 is compatible.

Anyway as per OP. Thanks..

Hello

I'm running an Vaillant Ecotech Plus combi boiler and want to install a Nest 3 Themostat.

I went on Nest websites and I'm none the wiser. Can anybody tell me how I would wire this is it is possible? Specifically what would be wired to what?

Btw I am aware of health and safety and will probably get a professional to install (so please no need to comment on this, I am competent in basic electrics), however I am still asking this question before I make any purchases.

So I'm looking into it in further detail.

Seems requirements for Nest cables are:.

Live 240V.
Neutral 240V.
Port 3 Heatlink boiler. Heating relay.

So looking at the image I supplied I guess it's fairly obvious what to do?

Contacted Nest seems like a Vailant Ecotech plus 831 is compatible.

Anyway as per OP. Thanks..

Can people please give me advise on the wiring, I like to know what needs to happen beforehand. I do understand basic electrics.

Many thanks

Last edited:
btw I am aware of health and safety and will probably get a professional to install (so please no need to comment on this, I am competent in basic electrics), however I am still asking this question before I make any purchases.

Please see quote above from the OP in bold. I have been reading a number of threads here before I posted and notice that number of people will simply parrot "use a professional installer" rather than attempt a technical discussion.

Frankly comments like this:

I wouldn't worry about it. Your electrician will be more than capable.

..is pure trolling imho after I've repeated several times what I'm looking for. I made it very clear from the beginning I wanted to discuss compatibility and wiring. I made it clear from the beginning that discussion about using a professional installer should be politely regarded as off topic (it's my thread not yours).

I was polite and courteous throughout.

It's clear this is all I'm going to get so bye and thanks for nothing.

Last edited:
Nest supply a comprehensive set of wiring diagrams that are easy to follow. What you seem to be looking for is a step by step guide...and as you insist you are going to get a professional in, why do you need these unless you are going to attempt the installation yourself?

Yes I have the diagrams thanks I was asking for a little help, I attached photos.

I guess all I will get now is questions about my motivations and told to use an electician copy and paste. So really what was the point in posting here.

Thanks so much for your help, you've all been brilliant and so professional.. bye.

Bloody hell you grumpy person, i was just about to start doing a diagram for you. Ah well

Fair comment, you weren't involved in this anyway, forgive me but I am very grumpy after reading these sadly all too predictable responses.

I'll leave everybody to discuss how horrible I was to everybody, that will make you all feel a lot better, go on have a group hug. I mean how dare a stupid person like me ask such a stupid question which is WAY out of my depth, I should have just hired an electrician, I am obviously dumb idiot who disregards health and safety! Thank God people post here like the rest of you, so you can tell people like me the same boring "use an electrician" phrase, over and over and over again, so you can increase your post count!! You guys are so helpful.

Brilliant ! You are all geniuses and such Pros!

Happy Friday folks, hope I gave you all a good chuckle.

Last edited:
if your going to try and wire it your self then say, stop beating around the bush saying your getting a pro in but want wiring instructions

so are you attempting to wire the stat up your self?

I’m a bit lost as to what you want to know?

The Nest is compatible with the boiler you have, you will just need to plug it in and use it wirelessly.
The wiring is straight forward, it’s impossible to say exactly what needs doing without seeing it in person. the basic outline is that the installer will test the system and if all is ok connect a live, neutral, earth and switched live to the heat link then set up the Nest correctly for your type of boiler and demonstrate the operation of the system.

if your going to try and wire it your self then say, stop beating around the bush saying your getting a pro in but want wiring instructions

so are you attempting to wire the stat up your self?

From opening post please see comments in bold. I'm not sure how I could get any clearer!

Hello

I’m a bit lost as to what you want to know?

The Nest is compatible with the boiler you have, you will just need to plug it in and use it wirelessly.
The wiring is straight forward, it’s impossible to say exactly what needs doing without seeing it in person. the basic outline is that the installer will test the system and if all is ok connect a live, neutral, earth and switched live to the heat link then set up the Nest correctly for your type of boiler and demonstrate the operation of the system.

Thanks for straight forward nice and polite answer, and not attempting to patronise me in any way (seriously appreciated).

From opening post please see comments in bold. I'm not sure how I could get any clearer!

just comment on this are you going to install it your self yes or no

if no then you wont / dont need to know about the wiring, as your installer will know this, you've already asked nest and they said yes it will so other than getting the nest and an installer your golden

if yes just say

Reply to Advise needed for Nest Themostat in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net