Discuss advise on my 1st commercial/ind quote.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Afternoon

in the middle of doing my 1st quote for a com/ind setup- bit out of my domestic comfort zone etc!

it is for additional power in workshop units for material testing of composite structure (whatever thats means!!)

see break down of my quote below:

Unit 1 Distribution

1x 6way TPN distribution board- to be installed in Unit 1 +30ma RCBO’s for 230v circuits

5m 16mm 5core SWA on cable tray sub main from new Ryefield board position

Unit 1 Power- to be wired in steel trunking at ceiling level- then drop in steel conduit to low level

(25) 1x MK Hangmann hanging 13a socket consisting of 4x 13a single outlets

(26) 1x MK Hangmann hanging 13a socket consisting of 4x 13a single outlets

(27) 1x low level metal clad 13a d.sockets

(28) 1x wall mounted 415v 32a TPN commando socket +30ma RCD module

(29) 1x metal clad 13a d.socket -wired from above

(30) 2x metal clad 13a d.socket -wired from above

(31) 1x wall mounted 415v 32a TPN commando socket +30ma RCD module

(32) 1x MK Hangmann hanging 13a socket consisting of 4x 13a single outlets

(33) 2x metal clad 13a d.socket -wired from above

Unit 2 Distribution

1x 6way TPN distribution board- to be installed in Unit 2 +30ma RCBO’s for 230v circuits

15m 25mm 5core SWA on cable tray sub main from new Ryefield board position

Unit 2 Power- to be wired in steel trunking at ceiling level- then drop in steel conduit to low level

1. 3x metal clad 13a d.sockets
  2. 2x metal clad 13a d.sockets
  3. 1x metal clad 13a d.sockets
(4) 1x wall mounted 415v 32a TPN commando socket +30ma RCD module

(5) 1x MK Hangmann hanging 13a socket consisting of 4x 13a single outlets

(6) 1x MK Hangmann hanging 13a socket consisting of 4x 13a single outlets

(7) 2x metal clad 13a d.sockets

(8) 1x MK Hangmann hanging 13a socket consisting of 4x 13a single outlets

(9) 1x wall mounted 415v 63a TPN commando socket +30ma RCD module -Hydraulics for Instron

(10) 1x wall mounted 415v 63a TPN commando socket +30ma RCD module -Toni Tech

(11) 1x wall mounted 415v 32a TPN commando socket +30ma RCD module

(12) 1x wall mounted 415v 32a TPN commando socket +30ma RCD module

(13) 1x MK Hangmann hanging 13a socket consisting of 4x 13a single outlets

(14) 2x metal clad 13a d.sockets

(15) 2x metal clad 13a d.sockets

(16) 2x metal clad 13a d.sockets

Unit 4 Power- to be wired in steel trunking at ceiling level- then drop in steel conduit to low level

(17) 1x wall mounted 415v 32a TPN commando socket +30ma RCD module

(18) 1x metal clad 13a d.sockets

(19) 2x metal clad 13a d.sockets

(20) 1x wall mounted 415v 32a TPN commando socket +30ma RCD module

(21) 1x wall mounted 415v 32a TPN commando socket +30ma RCD module

(22) 1x wall mounted 415v 32a TPN commando socket +30ma RCD module

(23) 1x wall mounted 415v 32a TPN commando socket +30ma RCD module

(24) 1x wall mounted 415v 32a TPN commando socket +30ma RCD module

Room off of Unit 2 -quote is based on 1x spare way being available in distribution board in this room

12x white plastic d.sockets above worktop level- wiring contained in plastic trunking

Unit 4 Distribution

Utilise recently installed distribution board in Unit 4 (needs to have 6x spare three phase ways and 1x spare single phase)

50m 25mm 5core SWA on cable tray sub main from new Ryefield board position

Few queries:

1)
Is it the norm for 3phase outlets not to have rcd protection in the DB (will be wired in SWA and just have 30ma protection local to the socket:
something like this:
Gewiss 415V Vertical Interlocked Socket RCD Facility IP67 63A 3P & E GW66873 | RS Electrical Supplies - https://www.rselectricalsupplies.co.uk/gewiss-415v-vertical-interlocked-socket-rcd-facility-ip67-63a-3p-and-e-gw66873_2608?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxKDXu-n92wIVxbTtCh0xDQVeEAQYBCABEgIr0PD_BwE

2)
on the clients spec is asked for a 16a/32a combo box 3-phase
-is this such a thing or can you only get a 16a OR a 32a outlet

3)
has anyone installed any 'hanging' sockets before (like kind you see in car garages) is the MK Hangmann any good to install?

Cheers
J

just had another thought...
basically they have had a new 200a 3ph supply and r/board installed (under 1 meter)

i am assuming i will need to install 3x isolators for the 3x D/B that are 5m,15m and 50m away just like i would for a domestic C/U >3m away?

i am assuming i will need to install 3x isolators for the 3x D/B that are 5m,15m and 50m away just like i would for a domestic C/U >3m away?

Why, can't you use the protective devices in the new board as isolators? MCBs can be used for isolation.. See Table 53.4

Last edited:
You seem inexperienced for such a job.
Who has done the design? It needs doing correctly.

You seem inexperienced for such a job.
Who has done the design? It needs doing correctly.
have to start somewhere right! ....otherwise you will be too rich ayy

not too much required in design here is there?

each 3 units has a simular load- 1 DB per phase

RCD needed for socket outlets up to 20a (although I think that changes to 32a on the 18th ed)

the wiring installation method will not require 30ma RCD- but potential un-trained people using the outlet will need 30ma rcd protection

hence asking where do I stick the RCD- and I am not aware of any 3ph RCBO's -so wondering if the link i posted in my original post will be ok for RCD protection local to the outlet

the wiring installation method will not require 30ma RCD- but potential un-trained people using the outlet will need 30ma rcd protection

hence asking where do I stick the RCD- and I am not aware of any 3ph RCBO's -so wondering if the link i posted in my original post will be ok for RCD protection local to the outlet

Well if the cable installation doesnt require RCD/RCBO protction then the device can be anywhere on the circuit.

Also yes you can get 3 phase RCBOs

have to start somewhere right! ....otherwise you will be too rich ayy

not too much required in design here is there?

each 3 units has a simular load- 1 DB per phase

RCD needed for socket outlets up to 20a (although I think that changes to 32a on the 18th ed)

Well, you've not even decided how you're going to feed the DB's, for starters.
Thank you. With some of the stuff I've come across lately, it seems it's all presumed to be common knowledge, anyway.
You're talking TP+N boards not SP+N, unless I've badly misread.
Regarding RCD socket protection, it's a production area, presumably. Do you want each circuit to trip on fault or each socket?
Good Luck.

Hi Mate
You have to excuse my ignorance on the Ryfield Board but if it meets the criteria for Isolation point then there would be no requirement imo to install separate isolators to supply 3 Unit DBs you are suggesting to install.
I have never used the hangman style sockets sorry.
For the TPN connando sockets it is very common to have rcd module at socket position not in DB for obvious reasons so socket type you looking at seems fine to me, though have never used that manufacturer. One question i would ask you is the interlocked switch on the socket outlet required? what purpose does it serve? might be cheaper to just use one without the switch.
Hope that helps
Good look with the job.

Reply to advise on my 1st commercial/ind quote.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net