Discuss advise please re spur on a shower in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mc-elec

hi i was doing a job today and noticed that a plumber had done some work and he had spured off from the supply cable to the shower from the switch. In my apprentice days i was told that this should not be done and if i remember correctly it says in the regs
any advise to what to tell the client would be great

as the plumber is her ex husband

in my thinking the shower should be rewired and the spur taken from the ring

please see attchments for pics

thanks

Attachments

• 2012-11-07 10.43.11.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 2012-11-07 10.43.18.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 91
i would not spur off a shower circuit
(To even get 3 X 4mm T&E in a JB must of been a neat trick)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, tidy Job there I see LMAO, great professional connection of the JB, it looks like a 20 amp lighting JB will, nice bit of excess cable to the spur as well haha, must be a skilled mans work.

If the cabling is of the correct size there will be no need to re-wire the shower just remove the spur and improve the jointing method.

You just need to source a new way of feeding the FCU.

Plumbers doing electrical work makes me mad when they know the dangers, you would never catch me playing with gas.

I know it's not ideal and the jb is certainly wrong but, if installed correctly would it be that bad? That spur could be running a extractor fan which could be connected to run when the shower switch is on.
i know the shower pull cord is a isolator and not a on off switch but that's another debate.

I know it's not ideal and the jb is certainly wrong but, if installed correctly would it be that bad? That spur could be running a extractor fan which could be connected to run when the shower switch is on.
i know the shower pull cord is a isolator and not a on off switch but that's another debate.

I see your point, we need to know what the FCU is controlling

plumber, plunger, wethead, plonker. all got 7 letters. coincidence ???????

Please tell me you are joking?

No wasn't joking, now it's not something I've thought about doing and why would you need to as the feed for the fan could From the lighting circuit which would be in the same loft.
all I was saying is what really would be wrong with it? Spurring off a shower circuit for fan, fan would be fused down to 3a in fcu, cable to fcu same size as shower circuit.

I would seriously read up on the regs, as my signature says i will note quote them, god damn i dont know them all ! but spurring off a shower supply has to be wrong in so many ways

Reply to advise please re spur on a shower in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net