Discuss Aerial cable not working after new faceplate added to existing cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just had a complete rewire done (excellent job) but after they added a new faceplate to the aerial cable, I get no signal on the TV. Sadly the old faceplate is gone in the trash so I can't put it back.
I've reconnected the cable several times to ensure no shorts and I've continuity tested the faceplate to ensure it's not a short fault there either.
The weird thing is that if I pop a screwdriver on to the center pin at the back of the plate, I get a perfect signal. The moment I take it off, the signal drops again. I assume this means the screwdriver is acting as an aerial in this case.
I seem to remember that the old socket had some kind of additional components "under the hood" so to speak but the new plate is a plain coax connector.
Any advice would be most welcome as it's driving me bonkers.
Many thanks in advance,
Mike

Sounds like a poor connection onto the faceplate, have you definetly connected it properly with the inner core and outer core clamped properly? Failing that is it connect properly at the other end? Of is it simply a dodgy faceplate

check continuity from the back terminals to the front socket. also, if you get a good signal from a screwdriver, it could be that the old socket had a built in attenuator to reduce a too strong signal.

Hi Matthew and thanks for getting back so quickly.
I'm confident that both inner and outer are connected correctly and clamped well. I have tested for shorts and found none.
I haven't checked the aerial end as it's on the roof and was working ok with the old faceplate which is the only thing that changed.
I should note that the aerial cable is VERY old and probably needs replacing. If I can't sort this issue out, I'll be investing in a new aerial and cable...it wouldn't hurt.
My sparks suggested a dodgy faceplate and offered to swap it out but I've continuity tested it and it seems ok. Probably worth a shot though.
Just odd that it works as soon as I touch the center pin with a screwdriver. :)
Thanks again.

could be a dry joint and when you apply the screwdriver, it makes the connection.

check continuity from the back terminals to the front socket. also, if you get a good signal from a screwdriver, it could be that the old socket had a built in attenuator to reduce a too strong signal.
Hi telectrix, I just continuity tested rear plate to front connector and it's all perfectly isolated. Definitely not a socket issue but thanks, worth checking.
Just spotted your note about a built in attenuator. It definitely had something in the old socket...not just a straight connector. Didn't know what it was though but now I'll try to get one to test.
Many thanks for that valuable nugget!!!

If you have a mast head amplifier attached then it will need a power supply unit to power it. This could be the part you are missing?

If you have a mast head amplifier attached then it will need a power supply unit to power it. This could be the part you are missing?
Thanks for the tip. The only thing that's changed is the wall plate but I suspect that the old one was attenuated (I remember seeing "components" in the old plate that was thrown away) so I'm going to try an inline attenuator first and see what gives.
Many thanks.

All of this is a perfect example of why you should not use an electrician to do an aerial installers job. They don't know enough about the subject. Also why you should not throw away old components till the new ones are working. It is unlikely those components were an attenuator. More likely a filter or perhaps isolating (safety) components.

Your best bet is to get an aerial installer involved who will have the correct test equipment to measure signal level, bit error rates etc. Hopefully he will also have the socket with the correct components on it.

All of this is a perfect example of why you should not use an electrician to do an aerial installers job. They don't know enough about the subject. Also why you should not throw away old components till the new ones are working. It is unlikely those components were an attenuator. More likely a filter or perhaps isolating (safety) components.

Your best bet is to get an aerial installer involved who will have the correct test equipment to measure signal level, bit error rates etc. Hopefully he will also have the socket with the correct components on it.
100% agree with everything you said George. I made contact with a local aerial chap yesterday afternoon and awaiting his call back.

Reply to Aerial cable not working after new faceplate added to existing cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock