Discuss Afdds new installations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi my question is ,
I know afdds are new to the 18 th and they are recommended but do I need to price for them as this would see me at a far higher price than someone who does not include them or .
Do I not have to include these and inform client I have not ,
Or just not price for them and keep my mouth closed .

Hi my question is ,
I know afdds are new to the 18 th and they are recommended but do I need to price for them as this would see me at a far higher price than someone who does not include them or .
Do I not have to include these and inform client I have not ,
Or just not price for them and keep my mouth closed .
Yes they are recommended Price for with AFDDd and with out, give your customer the option of having them included, if they decline the offer and you get the Non AFDD job annotate the certificate that you have offered the option and it was declined, ergo backside covered.

Yes that was reply I expected really thanks , but I can see lots of problems re client who knows nothing about electricity , trying to explain this to them ,
So do I need to fit them y/ n
And do I need to inform them y/ n
Your help greatly apreaciated

Yes that was reply I expected really thanks , but I can see lots of problems re client who knows nothing about electricity , trying to explain this to them ,

Download a fact sheet from a manufacturer and send this with your quotation.

T0 be honest the client doesn't really need to know much about electricity, explain to them what an AFDD does, and that it gives added protection against electrical fires, if they want that assurance and extra protection jobs a good one.
Your problem I think is the extra cost involved, surely you wouldn't just bang one in without an explanation as to the price difference against another Sparky who hasn't bothered to add the AFDD in the price he has quoted, would show up, and the client will be asking why your price is a couple of hundred more than the Guy who hasn't included an AFDD in his price.
If you did as I recommended in my earlier post, there wont be a problem, honestly and with respect I can't see what you are worried about.

T0 be honest the client doesn't really need to know much about electricity, explain to them what an AFDD does, and that it gives added protection against electrical fires, if they want that assurance and extra protection jobs a good one.
Your problem I think is the extra cost involved, surely you wouldn't just bang one in without an explanation as to the price difference against another Sparky who hasn't bothered to add the AFDD in the price he has quoted, would show up, and the client will be asking why your price is a couple of hundred more than the Guy who hasn't included an AFDD in his price.
If you did as I recommended in my earlier post, there wont be a problem, honestly and with respect I can't see what you are worried about.
My worry would be you are asking the customer to make a decision regarding their electrical safety they may not be competent to understand and therefore make.

I really wish the guidance on this issue was firmer, e.g. AFDDs are a requirement for X,Y&Z.

I can't help feeling we are upselling on behalf of the manufacturers of these devices, based on a statistical improbability using fear of consequences.

It just feels a bit iffy to say "you really should have these but the choice is yours" when I'm not sure the general consensus is that they are needed and the customer is not equipped to make the choice.

My worry would be you are asking the customer to make a decision regarding their electrical safety they may not be competent to understand and therefore make.

I really wish the guidance on this issue was firmer, e.g. AFDDs are a requirement for X,Y&Z
Me too if everyone ( who is credible ) was made to quote the same . Problem solved .

Reply to Afdds new installations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock