Discuss After installing Inverter Drive, two motors now running at different speeds? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We've just put in a bread cooling conveyor system. It has two sections, 8ft, and 25ft. Each belt has its own motor, both being 3PH, 230v. Each motor draws approximately 2 Amps. We put in a 5 HP Lenze Inverter Drive to control both motors because, before installing the Drive, both belts were running at the same speed, and a bit too fast for us. Now, with the Drive, the 25ft belt is noticeably slower than the 8 footer. Help?

Are both the motors identical?
Are both the pulley sets identical sizes?

Are the speeds different with no load and full load on the belts?

Given the vastly different lengths, the load on the motor with the longest belt is going to be higher.

Is the drive you have selected constant torque or variable torque, conveyors should have constant torque drives.
It is also much better practice to drive motors from separate inverters in this type of application, (especially when the loads on each motor are different) and use feed back from one drive as a reference for the other.

Snowhead, both motors identical, chain drive with same size sprockets, or gears. The belts moved at the same speed, loaded or not, before installing the Inverter Drive. Manufacturer says belt lengths in this case, not a factor.

Andy, the Mfr. says one Drive is OK for this application.
The drive manufacturer may say it is fine for this application (even though it obviously isn't !) I said it is better practice and in this case had you fitted two drives, you would not have a problem.

As you have been talking to Lenze, what do they think the solution is.. have they made any suggestions?

Andy, I too thought we'd be better off with two drives, but Lenze says not. They think it's a *slippage problem*. (One hell of a slippage problem, if you ask me, and obviously, I don't know a hell of a lot about this, and neither did two contractors we've had look at it. So far)

Have both the motors been fed by separate cables from the control panel?
What is the length of cable from the panel to each motor?
Do both motors have the same number of poles?

Both motors are fed by the same cable. The distance from the panel via a disconnect and the Lenze controller to the first motor, located on the 25ft section is around 60ft. The distance from this 1st motor to the 8ft section motor is about 25ft. The motors came from Turkey and are identical. I'm not at the bakery at the moment, so I don't know the Hz of the motors, 50Hz or 60Hz, which is used here in Canada. Thinking back to the Lenze conversation, they mentioned that a 50Hz motor would not be as fast as a 60Hz motor. Still, why did both belts run at the same speed, loaded or not, before the controller was put in? If we do go with a second controller, I realize that we'll have to run a second cable.

This can often happen when existing motors have retro VFDs fitted and it probably is slip. How difficult is it to swap the motors over to see if the problem lies with the motor. No two motors are likely to be identical even if to all intense and purpose they are identical especially as they have both been in service and may have suffered different wear and tear.

Slip = heat. If one of the motors has high slip it will be running hotter than the other if they're under the same load.

Reply to After installing Inverter Drive, two motors now running at different speeds? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock