Discuss After some advise please- Tn-s earth arrangement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all,

Just after some info on the photo attached. It’s a tn-s system with an Earth going to the cu met from under the floor boards. After lifting the boards I found the earth attached as so... I was expecting to see a clamp around the supply cable, not a choc block with legs of unknown origin attached. Can anyone enlighten me on what’s going on here? Thanks

FAACCCBC-193F-4CFE-B2CD-360F976A650E.jpeg

That looks suspiciously like a copper pipe... gas or water maybe, so my guess from afar would be that's bonding not the main earth.

There do seem to be a number of bare conductors floating about under the floor boards.
At first glance, I thought split concentric.
I think you need to find out just how many conductors are there, and where they come from.

There is no specific statement in BS 7671. It's very clear in GN8 and is something the NICEIC assessor has specifically looked for on previous inspections.

Ignore guidance notes - that's all they are and many people don't have them

The NICEIC assessor (as usual) doesn't know what he's talking about.

If its not in the BYB or BBB, an assessor can't pull you up on it.

Simples

Ignore guidance notes - that's all they are and many people don't have them

The NICEIC assessor (as usual) doesn't know what he's talking about.

If its not in the BYB or BBB, an assessor can't pull you up on it.

Simples

Guidance notes are written by the EIT to help you interpret the Regs correctly and the fact that people do a Regs course, usually at a college that simply prepares you to pass, doesn't mean that you are not responsible for studying it further.

How would you have managed 2391,2,4,5 or 6 without GN 3? Do you ever read it or quote it here, or just use the OSG like any domestic install, r?

Just because people can't be asked to study doesn't mean they can substitute opinion for fact.

By way of an example... consider an SWA supply from the meter to a consumer unit some way away. There are various joins in that connection, this is acceptable. I find it hard to believe a correctly made join (say a crimp or a service terminal block) would not comply.

Just because people can't be asked to study doesn't mean they can substitute opinion for fact.

I'm not stating an onion - its fact that "continuous" is not in the BYB or BBB

There is NO requirement that I am aware of for any spark to own and read all the Guidance Nuts .............

If this was so important, why isn't it stipulated in black and white in the BYB or BBB? Its not ..........................

Reply to After some advise please- Tn-s earth arrangement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net