Discuss Age of installation? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

craigj85

I've just done an eicr on a house with a Wylex rewireable fuse 3036 cu. how old would that make it? The wiring was all red and black t+e. Just need to put a number on the report. I'm thinking 10-15 years?

Well think again a picture and better description would be nice ie is it an old wooden base fusebord yes well it 50 years old is it and old metalic well 30-40 years old is it a nice grey gloss paint job well 20-25 years old

The 10 year old houses I work on are mostly fitted with 16th Edition single RCD boards. I would put that installation you desribe at much nearer to 15 (or beyond) years than 10.

16th ed came in in 1991. so it's got to be > 21years. if in doubt , enter >20, or >30 years.

As Oldtimer says a picture is always better with any type of question like this.
Wylex have been doing CU's for years and they are not all the same just because its rewirable.
Dark brown with wooden back would normally be pre 65 and after that they became a cream colour with wooden back right up to the early 80's then they started to change from wooden to insulated back, not forgetting the metalclad versions which they had loads.
This is just an insight for you to see that there were loads of types available but i tend to use the above as an estimate.

It was an ivory colour 6 way made from plastic no rcd protection. All the rewireable fuses had been replaced with the b type 3871 mcb where you change the fuse carrier.

Don't overly worry about it....just use common sense and give an estimate. The 'at least.....years old' is the best bet. An installation may have been butchered, added to, rewired etc. many times.....so often you can only give your best educated guess!

Don't get too hung up over just the board its a combination of wiring, earth size/type and manner of instal that give you the age.
All of this is put together to give as best in your opinion the general condition.

Reply to Age of installation? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net