Discuss Agency work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SafetyFirst

Hi folks,

this is to anyone with experience of working through agency as a general contractor (not self employed). I've been offered a few temporary roles on agency recently ranging from a few weeks worth of work to a few months.

I've been fortunate that most my career i've been on the books with a company but i'm currently not happy where i am.

So i've been placing my CV around and not sure if i should take the gamble, i been hoping to get with another company on the books but as everyone know's there's not many takers currently.

Whats peoples experience on here with agency work, what i think is that a lot is placed on trust, ie you may be garaunteed 6 months work over the phone and end up starting monday and finishing thursday to cover joe bloggs sickness?? Anyone experienced that type of thing?

Also what about expenses.... It's all well and good paying JIB hourly rates but it's no good if you have a daily 100mile round trip that you can't get any help towards.

PPE is another query....i've noticed many agency adverts that state must have own tools blah blah and own PPE. Surely they or the client you work for must provide you with PPE if you aren't acting as a sub self employed contractor?

Any views on this is welcome thanks.

I’ve done a fair amount of work via an agency. Most of the jobs I’ve worked on have been between five and eighteen months (the better you are, the longer you stay). As far as I know, most agencies pay you via CIS (through an umbrella company). The hourly rate is set by the company, and unfortunately JIB rates don’t apply as you’re a sub-contractor.

You include all your expenses (tools, fuel, etc), when you complete your end of year self assessment.

You normally turn up with your high viz, hard had, gloves, goggles, and STC boots (so you can get on site). If the company is large enough, then they will normal give you a branded high viz and hardhat.

Your own tools normally refer to your general hand tools, and usually a cordless drill. Any other gear (access, SDS drills, leads, site lights), the company normally hire in.

At the end of the day, it’s work. And you do get to work on some pretty interesting sites.

And don’t believe the ‘guarantied 6 months’, you can normally gauge how long you will be there by the amount of work left to do and the hand-over date. Take each week as is comes!

At the end of the day, it’s work. And you do get to work on some pretty interesting sites.

I'd agree, you can end up on some really good jobs. If you know your stuff you could be metal munching right through to DB wiring and 2nd fixing. If on the other hand if you are rubbish you'll last the morning or a week.
The great thing about agency work is go for it as long as the contract lasts and then take a break, the work is varied, well in my case I did just about everything LV.

I've had some crackers in my time, and some good electrical work as well.......

Not all agency work is bad, but make sure you know what you’re going it to.

I did a stint of three months for an agency as plant shift engineer. I’ve never had so much fun in my life.

Not all agency work is bad, but make sure you know what you’re going it to.

I did a stint of three months for an agency as plant shift engineer. I’ve never had so much fun in my life.

agreed , you get a better variety of work than when working for yourself.

speaking of which Tony , you know my current project with the photo diary ?
company went bust this week !!
bummer , would have like to have seen it through , plus out of work without a plan b
:-( sh** lol.

well, that's one up from sweeping the forecourt, so you are progressing up the executive ladder.

and what drink would you like sir?......... i'll have a biffvic 55.

it could be worse..........
i could be doing domestic electrical........

Agency work 400_F_44359140_x83SOcPvCZUpyasA6RonNXZ1hqM1Gr84 - EletriciansForums.net

:devil2:

Reply to Agency work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock