Discuss aico heat alarms on wall? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elsparko

having a bit of a debate as to why aico heat detectors should not be wall mounted, other than aico stating "do not wall mount" i cant think of a good reason why it would not operate if placed less than 12" from ceiling on the wall

did a quick poogle search but no definitive answer

i have seen wall mountable heat detectors, but what makes aico heat detectors different?

it is the heat that rises for them that how they work .
i know that, but shirley being between 3-12" from ceiling height it would still be at almost the highest point in the room, guy i work with installed one on wall as the ceiling was an arch shape, no loft and not allowed to damage wall, so straight up above the light switch and about 5 inches from ceiling

to me i reckon it will still be ok but on aico website it clearly states "do not wall mount" but gives no reason why

if there is a fire even at the furthest point in the same room the temperature will still increase dramatically in the room thus triggering the alarm

not really my problem but like to know for sure if im going to tell him hes wrong lol

if you do not go with the manufactures instructions. and is a fool that put it up in the beginning on the wall .it is vital second for that alarm to go off, for life or death.

Last edited:
What would be the benefit of mounting them on the wall? Surely it's going to cause more mess than putting them on the ceiling?

customer specified no damage to decor

ill bring it up tomorrow and see what the big man says

only benefits i can think of is ease of access during nuisance alarms, its still about 8/9 ft from floor

he would of had to take out several patches to get it to the ceiling depending on how the arch is built

just finished sorting one of his other jobs today, no doubt ill have to do this one too

It needs to be installed as manufactures instructions they (Aico) have done rigorous tests to make sure their product complies with the B.S.How would you get nuisance alarms with a heat detector opposed to smoke?

It needs to be installed as manufactures instructions they (Aico) have done rigorous tests to make sure their product complies with the B.S.How would you get nuisance alarms with a heat detector opposed to smoke?
i understand that, greenbrooks heat alarms can be sited on walls though according to my recent poogle search

does anyone know why greenbrooks allow heats on walls but aico do not?

id like to know im going to win this argument before i start it :D

Well two questions then
1. Can it be installed to manufacturers instructions and work corectly to save lives and property
2.Does it comply with the relevant B.s

As heat rises and gathers at the highest point I think it will be safe to say that well down a wall before it triggers, the fire will be past the smouldering stage and well under way.
To be honest if Aico say do not fit them on a wall - that is good enough for me.

if it is ach ceiling then it should be put on there .are the ceiling Plastered and white if so tell the
that customer it will blend in nicely.

trunking is not allowed and neither is taking out patches

to me for the sake of a few patches and a bit of repainting seems the logical way, or swap heat with a multi, aico website says it is permissible for all apart from heats

no way to get a supply to alarm without taking out patches as the feed is at the switches, there is no access above either as its a flat

i understand that, greenbrooks heat alarms can be sited on walls though according to my recent poogle search

does anyone know why greenbrooks allow heats on walls but aico do not?

id like to know im going to win this argument before i start i
t :D

You should sign up on the Aico site . They are live now.
I am sure they will be pleased to help you,

Just a thought but if you have a lighting circuit with permanent live up on ceiling could you not use this to fit a wireless base heat to link up with others.

Reply to aico heat alarms on wall? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net